Question

jp2 in photoshop

• 13 March 2014
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

HI,

I have a 23GB jp2 file. Since it's very big to work with it I decided to tile it. I was able to tile it 4x4 and end up with 16 files of <2G. I can look at them without a problem in ArcMap but when I try to open them in photoshop I can't. I have always been able to see jp2 in photoshop. Then I try to change my rasters in ArcMap but I can't... What's going on???

For the writer I kept the defaults. 75% compression...

Any idea what's going on? I'm new in FME and have not idea what's going on...

Thanks,

Margarita

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

that's still some mighty big files to open in Photoshop. Remember that the jpeg will be "unpacked" in memory and therefore might be much larger in memory than on disk.

I'd try to split them up even further (about 100MB per file) and try again with Photoshop.

If you get an error message in Photoshop, please post it here as well.

David
Hi David,

I already tried with a smaller file (11MB) and I'm getting the same problem. We have also tried with different photoshops, machines, plung-ins and nothing...

I also tried in ArcMap to create another raster (jp2) based on my tiled raster but it can read it (raster to other format -> "One or more dropped items were invalid and will not be added to the control")

In the writer, for the Encoding Profile I'm using the default that's profile0. Do you think it's something to do with it?

According to the FME help "Profile 0 has the greatest compatibility."

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Margarita