Question

Join Table to feature class and overwrite existing attributes

• 26 March 2013
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
I have an existing Geodatabase feature class that I want to join a table to based on a common key.  Once joined I want to copy the values of several fields in the external table and overwrite the equivolent existing fields in the geodatabase. I have used the featuremerger transforner before but don't see how to direct the data from the supplier into existing fields in the requestor.  Is their another tool to use?

Thanks,

Chris M

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Chris,

Personally, I do not recommend that you read and modify the same table inside a single workspace unless you have a very clear idea of what you're doing. It is technically possible, but with a few gotchas and caveats.

I would consider writing the results from the attribute joins to a temporary table. You can then update the values of the original input table with the temporary table values in a second workspace, if possible.

On the other hand, I think you're on the right track with the FeatureMerger.

To update the column values of an existing table, look at this article.

David
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi,

I think that in this case after the featuremerger or joiner you need to map the new attributes into the gdb exisitng ones, this can be done in several ways, I would recommend the schemamapper for that.

Hope this helps