Question

Writer ArcGISPortalFeatureService Token Management - FME Desktop

In some of my workbenches in FME Desktop I can have over 400k of rows to update to a ArcGIS hosted portal feature service. However the writer will fail somewhere between 400k to 450k, roughly after an hour of updating. I think this is the token from portal expiring, but can't find a way to change the expire duration in FME Desktop when it gets a token from portal. Is there a way around this?

6 replies

Badge +1

Hi @robclark984,

This may be due to a setting on the ArcGIS Portal side - I found this documentation that may help. Perhaps checking the tokenExpiration property in the configuration file may reveal that this setting is for 1 hour only?

Hi @robclark984,

This may be due to a setting on the ArcGIS Portal side - I found this documentation that may help. Perhaps checking the tokenExpiration property in the configuration file may reveal that this setting is for 1 hour only?

The settings here would change the token for every user in Portal, is there a more single user setting? Can FME not request a new token during an update when it finds that it's current token has expired?

Thanks

Badge +1
The settings here would change the token for every user in Portal, is there a more single user setting? Can FME not request a new token during an update when it finds that it's current token has expired?

Thanks

Hi @robclark984,

The ArcGIS Portal writer will have this option in the near future, when it joins the family of writers using Web Connections. At this time, we do not currently have a way to request a new token mid-translation - we will use the token supplied at runtime throughout. One way around this might be to use the WorkspaceRunner to commit smaller chunks of data at a time.

Hi,

Going by the FME 2019 documentation on this writer, the Portal writer still uses the same access token for all operations in the workspace. I'm running into the exact same issue (write operations failing after 2 hours) - will this behaviour change for 2019.1?

I couldn't find clear information on whether the web connections now include Portal - if anyone knows please shout.

Badge +2

Hi,

Going by the FME 2019 documentation on this writer, the Portal writer still uses the same access token for all operations in the workspace. I'm running into the exact same issue (write operations failing after 2 hours) - will this behaviour change for 2019.1?

I couldn't find clear information on whether the web connections now include Portal - if anyone knows please shout.

Hi @ngoorman, Thank you for your question. We haven't yet added ArcGIS portal to Web Connections. I have linked this thread into the ticket tracking this enhancement. Although I can't promise this will be added in 2019.1, we will update in this thread, when the support is added.

Thank you!

Badge +8

Is the service a hosted feature service (using the spatialtemporal datastore?) or is it a published service from another database? I had a chat with a developer for ArcGIS Online today regarding REST services and they were pushing me towards using the append functionality instead of the applyedits. They said when you use applyedits (like FME does), it actually does a row by row commit to the database, while append basically commits everything at once. They told me that there should be a HUUUUUGE performance increase and that you can write a hundred thousands records in a minute or less compared to much longer with the applyedits. They are working on code that will take a csv and write it to AGOL (which I'll share here when I get it), but in the mean time maybe try the geoprocessing tool (http://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/geoanalytics-append-data.htm)?