Question

How to create underground properties in a Minecraft map?

• 3 January 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a Minecraft map based on a DEM and some layers, like rivers, vegetation and underground.

I'd like to get some tips about how to associate geological layers to a DEM point cloud and then export to Minecraft. I have a .tiff and some .shp files, and I'm using Bowen Island's workbench as a basis, so I think it might be associate to the custom transformer "MinecraftRasterizer".

Thanks in advance!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think the basics are to use a SurfaceModeller transformer to drape a layer onto a DEM.

From there you could (for example) create a TINSurface. Point the TinSurface into a PointCloudCombiner and it will create a point cloud that can be written to Minecraft. But then I guess that doesn't get you much more than if you just said "write my DEM point cloud".

I guess my question is, are these geological layers just the surface layer (the bedrock that a geological map would show) or are they three dimensional (or layers with depth) that represent multiple strata?

If it's just the bedrock then maybe a different output of the SurfaceModeller would help (DrapedFeatures) or even use a Group-By to create multiple surfaces.

I hope this helps somewhat. I know that Minecraft can "model" different layers which is why I'm wondering if you want to create proper strata, or just the same bedrock all the way down.