Question

View Log for sub workspace

• 1 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge

I am trying to see where there might be a log of what occurred in a sub workspace called by workspaceRunner.

I have FME server running workspace (A) and as part of that process workspace (B) is called.

The only detail I can see is that workspace (B) was called successfully, however I would like to see the type of detail showing in the job log for workspace (A)

The Log simply says

90 INFORM 0.0 0.4 Today at 12:27:00 WorkspaceRunner_2: {C:/Program Files/FMEServer/Server/fme/fme} {//Workspace/datagovau - AFS_LIC_.fmw} 2>@1

91 INFORM 0.0 0.4 Today at 13:24:46 WorkspaceRunner_2: Successfully ran workspace \\\\Workspace\\datagovau - AFS_LIC_.fmw

6 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

as far as i know it is not possible to run Workspaces with a WorkspaceRunner on FME Server. With FME 2016 i even get a warning when I try to publish it. You would need a FME Desktop license/installation on your FME Server host. But even then you would have no control over the logfile, because the workspace runs out of the FME Server context.

You want to use the FMEServerJobSubmitter instead of the WorkspaceRunner and publish both workspaces to FME Server.

Then (depends on your exact settings of the JobSubmitter if you want to run it sychronously or asynchronously) the FME Server is fully aware of both jobs.

If you run it synchronously (Wait for job complete = Yes) the whole "second" logfile will be included in the log of your main workspace, if you do not wait the second job gets it's own job id.

Then you can view the log via the Server web UI or retrieve it with FMEServerLogFileRetriever programmatically.

Badge +16

Hi @ashertbrooks, If you are running the jobs on FME Server, I would recommend using the FME Server dedicated transformers ( FMEServerJobSubmitter, FMEServerJobWaiter and FMEServerLogFileRetriever)

Hope this helps.

Badge +16

Hi @ashertbrooks, If you are running the jobs on FME Server, I would recommend using the FME Server dedicated transformers ( FMEServerJobSubmitter, FMEServerJobWaiter and FMEServerLogFileRetriever)

Hope this helps.

Ha just a few seconds too late....

Badge

Hi,

as far as i know it is not possible to run Workspaces with a WorkspaceRunner on FME Server. With FME 2016 i even get a warning when I try to publish it. You would need a FME Desktop license/installation on your FME Server host. But even then you would have no control over the logfile, because the workspace runs out of the FME Server context.

You want to use the FMEServerJobSubmitter instead of the WorkspaceRunner and publish both workspaces to FME Server.

Then (depends on your exact settings of the JobSubmitter if you want to run it sychronously or asynchronously) the FME Server is fully aware of both jobs.

If you run it synchronously (Wait for job complete = Yes) the whole "second" logfile will be included in the log of your main workspace, if you do not wait the second job gets it's own job id.

Then you can view the log via the Server web UI or retrieve it with FMEServerLogFileRetriever programmatically.

I haven't been able to use FMEServerJobSubmitter because the name of the sub workspace being called is dynamic and will change depending on the input to the parent workspace, FMEServerJobSubmitter cannot use parameters to make the workspace being called dynamic.

I have been using workspaceRunner with success by calling workspaces that exist on a network path and the log does show it has executed correctly, I would just like to same level of detail that is shown for the parent workspace.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

If you publish the parameter for the log file in the child workspace, you can create a separate log file for that workspace by defining the location and name in the WorkSpaceRunner.

Badge

If you publish the parameter for the log file in the child workspace, you can create a separate log file for that workspace by defining the location and name in the WorkSpaceRunner.

Thanks I will give that a go