Solved

FME Data Inspector 2019 crashes when any file is loaded

Badge

Hi guys.

Everything was working great with the 2018. But since I moved to the 2019, no matter what type of file I bring in the Data Inspector, it just crashes after trying to load it. The Workbench works fine though.

I tried all the builds (of the 2019) that have been released so far, no success. I tried to re-install, uninstall, still nothing. But as soon as I get back to the 2018, Data Inspector works again.

The problem is that I need the 2019 for latest import and visualization of IndoorGML. I suspect the bug is related to Qt5 because when I try to debug the application with mvsc2017 I have the following exception thrown:

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFE39931BFC (Qt5Gui_fme.dll) in fmedatainspector.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000CEEFE03F18).

I did not update anything related to Qt5 lately.

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by abdou 4 April 2019, 02:57

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @abdou. Sorry to hear you are having difficulty inspecting your data. Would you be able to share your file(s) that are causing the issue with us? You could either attach in this thread, using the Upload File button, or please create a support case: https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/.

What builds of FME 2019 have you tried?

Would you also please run the system_information.bat file and share the resulting file either here as an attachment or in the support case?

Thank you,

Natalie

Badge

Hi @abdou. Sorry to hear you are having difficulty inspecting your data. Would you be able to share your file(s) that are causing the issue with us? You could either attach in this thread, using the Upload File button, or please create a support case: https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/.

What builds of FME 2019 have you tried?

Would you also please run the system_information.bat file and share the resulting file either here as an attachment or in the support case?

Thank you,

Natalie

Hi @natalieatsafe,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I launched a support case (C144062 ) and attached the system info log.

No file seems to work. For example the attached simple OBJ file would not open as well. repaired_vol.zip

I tried the following builds:

• b19222
  • b19237
  • b19238

Thanks again.

Abdou

Badge

My FME 2019 (FME(R) 2019.0.0.0 (20190328 - Build 19238 - WIN64) is also crashing in the workbench with any call to the Inspector. Attached is my System Information.

Looks like, at least for us, FME 2019 is not ready for prime time...sysinfo20190403.zip

Badge

My Inspector is crashing when I create a Background Map with basic authentication. Layers populate the layer list fine.

However, when I run the 2019 Data Inspector and Workbench, the hypnotizing endless flush cursor until a brash crash. So anyway there is something going on...probably with the GetMap call...

By the way, why does the Add Background Map not show the Use Network Authentication check box/parameters? You have to click several times to get to finally get to the right WMS parameters.

So if you're having problems with Inspector behaviour then check your background map settings. I'd be curious to know if this is common among those using basic network authentication.

Cheers,

Pete

Badge

@pvaziri you just pointed out the problem. I recently changed the background map to test some WMS (I tried Mundialis), and that was the reason why Data Inspector was crashing. When I remove it, it works just fine. I did not have to set network authentication though, so the problem may be more general than that. Thank you all for your help anyway. fme_map_background.PNG

Badge

My Inspector is crashing when I create a Background Map with basic authentication. Layers populate the layer list fine.

However, when I run the 2019 Data Inspector and Workbench, the hypnotizing endless flush cursor until a brash crash. So anyway there is something going on...probably with the GetMap call...

By the way, why does the Add Background Map not show the Use Network Authentication check box/parameters? You have to click several times to get to finally get to the right WMS parameters.

So if you're having problems with Inspector behaviour then check your background map settings. I'd be curious to know if this is common among those using basic network authentication.

Cheers,

Pete

Further, I can't edit the Background Map and pick other layers from the Layer List, for example, since presumably no Network Authorization happening beyond the initial Map definition. Here are the log lines, indicating that layers cannot be accessed via GetCapabilities:

Failed to read schema features from dataset 'https://services.whitestar.com/geoserver/wms' using the 'WMS' readerReceived HTTP response header: 'HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized' from 'https://services.whitestar.com:443/geoserver/wms?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities&VERSION=1.1.1'<WMS> HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized - Unable to fetch the capabilities document: 'https://services.whitestar.com:443/geoserver/wms?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities&VERSION=1.1.1'A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for detailsFailed to read schema features from dataset 'https://services.whitestar.com/geoserver/wms' using the 'WMS' reader

BTW, Mundalis worked for me: Layer selection was "{OpenStreetMap WMS}|{OSM-WMS}"

This USGS link also works:

https://smallscale.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services/NaturalEarth/MapServer/WMSServer?

So I don't know if the generalization of issues with all WMS services without basic authentication applies.

Cheers,

Pete

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @abdou,

I have reproduced the issue you are seeing with Data Inspector crashing due to the background maps, and have created a problem report for our development team. I will notify you as soon as this problem is fixed.

This thread saved my day!

I was just about to believe my system has become corrupted somehow but then I found this thread and the reason for FME constantly crashing.

FME Data Inspector crashed everytime I tried to inspect something - no matter what kind of file, even simple CSV files.

Even FME Workbench (2019.0.1 build 19253) crashed constantly when the visual preview tab existed. It did not even have to be visible, just be activated via menu Windows -> Visual Preview.

After simply deleting the background map that is created as a default during installation (WMS without any source parameters) there are no more crashes.

Thank you for this report!

Badge

I am using FME Desktop 2021.2

I pass my aws credentials to the s3connector through user parameters. The user parameters are all password type parameters.

I am having no issue with the Access Key ID, or Secret Access Key but I am experiencing an issue with the Session Token.

I'm finding that passing the session token as a password user parameter causes the following rejection:

`fme_rejection_message' has value `S3Connector: There was an error connecting to Amazon S3: 'An error occurred (InvalidToken) when calling the GetObject operation: The provided token is malformed or otherwise invalid.'. Confirm that your credentials and region settings are correct. Some regions are not publicly available - contact AWS for more information'

If I pass the session token as text type user parameter then I do not get this rejection and the workspace continues with the download from s3.

Badge
I'm not experiencing this problem and have not for some time. Thanks for checking.
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi there, is there any further developments in regard to this? Has it been fixed in FME 2020/2021?

We're struggling to bring a WMS backgorund map into FME Inspector - FME just crashes every time...?

Thanks!

Martyn

Hi Martyn. I looked it up in our developer database and the issues are flagged as fixed in FME2020 onwards. In fact, it should have been backported to 2019.2, so if you were using that version it ought to be OK. But definitely 2020 onwards. If not, then do let us know via the support team and we'll investigate some more.

Just as a record, the issue IDs are FMEDESKTOP-8887 and FMEDESKTOP-9645

Badge
This is awesome – many thanks! Martyn Lufkin Data Team Manager | Landmark Information | T: +44 3300366341 Unit 5-7 Abbey Court, Eagle Way, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter EX2 7HY www.landmark.co.uk