Question

How to use FME as a tool to translate Geodata into minecraft?

• 27 April 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi there, I am a new user to FME and therefore not so familiar with the interface and functionalities of FME desktop. I downloaded the software as I read in some articles that you could translate Cadastral property data and building height data into Minecraft with the help of FME. I am currently working on a project in Minecraft where the aims are to build the whole earth with human structure into the game. Even though the project has 100,000 users already participating, it is simply impossible to recreate everything by hand. If it is possible to load entire cities into Minecraft, it would help a lot. I would like to know which data I need, how I should utilize it in FME, and how the conversion process works to recreate the shells of buildings in Minecraft. Thanks in advance!

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @thincthru,

Thanks for your question! I think this article on How to Make Minecraft Worlds will likely be your best resource as it shows downloadable examples on getting different data types (point clouds, rasters, vector, BIM) into Minecraft. It might be a good idea just starting from a reader (source data format) to Minecraft writer and work from there to see what more you need to add and/or change. Is your Geodata an ArcGIS Service? Are you able to successfully read in your data?

I also wanted to mention that we have offer free FME training both live online and recorded if you wanted to get more familiar with how FME works and what it can do while getting started.

As you hit more specific snags in your workflow, feel free to post a new question to the Forums! Hope that helps a bit on getting started!