• 9 replies

Badge
FME2016 run from Task Scheduler problem: TNS ORA-12154
icon

Best answer by m 8 April 2016, 10:44

View original

9 replies

Badge

On a Windows 2008 server we run every night several FME2014 Workbenches, without problems. A week ago we did install FME2016 as well on this server. The FME 2016 workbenches do have problems with TNS.

We did make the same simple workbench for 2014 and for 2016. FME2014 runs without problems. FME2016 returns:

2016-04-05 11:03:45| 1.5| 0.0|INFORM|Connecting to ORACLE database `ods_view_swf<at>NEDBR' with user name of `' and password of `***'

2016-04-05 11:03:45| 1.5| 0.0|ERROR |Error connecting to Oracle database: message was `ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified'. (serverType=`ORACLE8i', serverName=`ods_view_swf<at>NEDBR', userName=`', password=`***', dbname=`')

Any idea?

Kind regards Meine

Userlevel 4

Hi

It could be that FME 2014 and 2016 are accessing the Oracle drivers slightly differently. Are they e.g. executed as the same user?

The ORA-12154 message is pretty common and means that the Oracle driver has a problem connecting to the database, it can occur for a number of reasons. Most probably it is due to some problem with the local tnsnames.ora on your machine running FME.

There is a checklist published here that should hopefully get you started in finding the cause.

David

Badge +2

Is one FME version 32 bit and the other 64 bit by any chance?

Could be the it's not finding the correct TNS file for the Oracle Client.

Badge

Thanks, for your help so far.

Both versions are 64 bit so that could not be the problem. @mark_1spatial

I will hand the checklist to our ICT guys @david_r

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

I noticed you were running these at night.

So I suppose you are using batch files.

As both FME 2014 and FME 2016 are installed, are you sure the workspaces created with FME 2016 are run using FME 2016?

You could check this in the logfile.

That could cause all kinds of underlying issues, including not being able to connect to the database.

Badge

Shure, fme2016 is started in the batch file from the right location. And I am shure, I did not mix 2014 and 2016 workspaces

Badge

We now think that this problem could be caused by 'database connections'. This workbench starts three Workbenchstarters. The first one is copied from a FME2014 workbench and found to contain no 'database connections'. This workbench has no problems with connecting to Oracle. The other two workbenches do have 'database connections' and therefore immediately get TNS error ORA-12154 by opening readers or writers

The primary workbench with the workbenchstarters is run at night by the Task Scheduler of the Windows server. When you run de workbench manualy on a workstation or on the server, there are no problems.

Any suggestions?

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Database connections can be added to the server using FME Workbench.

Go to Tools > Options and to the database connections menu as shown below.

You can add all needed connections.

They will be stored in a file.

Badge

That's right, i did import the database connections on the FME on the server @erik_jan.

But your answer triggerd me in finding the solution. These workbenches run under Task

Scheduler. That's of course an other user, where the 'named database connections' are not available. The solution was for me to embed the 'named database connections' in the workbench.

Thanks to all, problem solved.