Question

Is FME Desktop Smallworld supported on Windows 64

• 15 July 2019
  • 4 replies

We are trying to get our FME Desktop Smallworld edition software up and working. When we do it on a 32bit Windows system, we are able to use the reader. But when we use it on a 64bit Windows system, we get the following error...

Creating reader for format: Smallworld 4/5

Trying to find a BUILTIN plugin for reader named `SWORLDSWAF'

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `SWORLDSWAF'

This FME edition does not recognize the `SWORLDSWAF' reader. Please ensure that the current platform supports this reader, the reader name is spelled correctly, and that you have installed all required plug-ins

Informatio such as the Smallworld SWAF Quick Facts state 32bit Windows as a requirement. 32bit Windows is getting hard to come by these days. Is it really a requirement or is there just some additional configuration required to make it work? Maybe something is looking in Program Files instead of Program Files (x86).

4 replies

Badge +1

You do not need to have a Windows 32 operating system, however you will need to use a 32-bit installation of FME Desktop.

https://www.safe.com/support/support-resources/fme-downloads/

I have a 64 bit Windows Operating System and have multiple versions of FME installed (both 64 and 32 bit versions), if that helps. Smallworld translations will only run successfully on the 32-bit version though.

You do not need to have a Windows 32 operating system, however you will need to use a 32-bit installation of FME Desktop.

https://www.safe.com/support/support-resources/fme-downloads/

I have a 64 bit Windows Operating System and have multiple versions of FME installed (both 64 and 32 bit versions), if that helps. Smallworld translations will only run successfully on the 32-bit version though.

Thanks, that was my assumption. Any thoughts on why we get this error and how we get around it?

Badge +1

Thanks, that was my assumption. Any thoughts on why we get this error and how we get around it?

Can you confirm you are using the 32-bit install of FME? Usually when I see that error it is due to the 64 bit version of FME being used. The SWORLDSWAF dll should also be moved to the FME installation directory. I would double check this as well.
Can you confirm you are using the 32-bit install of FME? Usually when I see that error it is due to the 64 bit version of FME being used. The SWORLDSWAF dll should also be moved to the FME installation directory. I would double check this as well.

This worked for me. I'll work with our team to figure out what their issue was. Thanks.