Solved

Using FME to create quantized mesh tiles?

• 15 February 2016
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I know that FME has WebMapTiler as one of transformer utilities and it's good for creating image tiles in 2d web map applications.

However, as 3d web gis is evolving and as there is more possibilities to build nice 3d web gis applications using libraries like CesiumJS and similair, i wonder if there is any plan in near future to enable tiling of 3d datasets using FME.

For example, that you have 3d mesh and you want to create quantized-mesh tiles using some FME Transformer ?

I know it's probably not so easy to implement at the moment but I would like to know if it's something that is on TODO list or not?

Thank you and kind regards

Ivan

icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 18 February 2016, 16:50

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi Ivan (@ivanpasiczd)

I asked around and it's not one of our short-term goals. As we move to support more 3D streaming services then it will probably get a much higher priority. But for now, no.

You can file this under our ideas section though, and then if other users vote for it we'll know to give it more attention.

Regards

Mark

Mark Ireland

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.

Badge +1

Cesium is getting more and more popular, any update on quantized mesh creation support after two years @mark2atsafe?

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Cesium is getting more and more popular, any update on quantized mesh creation support after two years @mark2atsafe?

Hi @kino: Thanks for your interest in FME support for quantized mesh creation! We have this enhancement request in our system (internal reference FMEENGINE-57112). However, there's no timeline yet.

To help us prioritize this, I would encourage you to up vote the Idea page for this, and provide some additional comments there to help us understand your use-case (and sample data if you think it will help). We will provide any updates on Quantized Mesh support on this Ideas page.

@nampreet Both of your links go to the same page. Was this intentional?

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Yes, they were intended to be linked to the same page :)