Question

Writer gets out of memory exception

• 27 February 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello,

In some cases I get out of memory exception when using writers. The reason is that FME needs to get all results for example from postgis into memory and then save it (for example in GML or DWG format).

When there is a lot of data then problem appears.

One soluton for that would be to use paging.

First execute count() query to check how many records are we expecting and then for each part run workspacerunner with some limit and offset parameters.

That works nice but:

In my case I need to first take a polygon by which I will do filtering and then take all rows from another table that intersects with this polygon.

Using FME Reader with intersects in works quite well but when I want to execute that query on my postgres DB then it takes forever even though I have geo indexes set on both tables :/

Do you have any experiences with such a problem?

1 reply

Badge +2

Hi @witos,

Just want to confirm, are you using a 64 bit installation or FME? Additionally have you tried adjusting the Number of Records To Fetch At a Time parameter to a lower number in the PostGIS reader parameters under the Advanced section?

Additionally, there are tips for Adjusting Memory Resources in the documentation that might also be helpful for this.