Question

Copy and Convert dwg:s to another version into another folder

• 6 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Hello FME Community!

I´m looking to read AutoCAD Civil 3D files from a folder and convert them to another version ex Release2013 into another folder.

I´ve understood that you should use write AutoCAD DWG/DWF, since there is no Civil 3D writer.

However you can´t select a folder to write to, only specific file destination? Is there another way around this?

I tried taking another route, by using "Fanout Dataset" on the Writer. Which kinda solved the folder issue, but the created file got the same result as below.

Also.. When I simply try to overwrite an identical dwg file with another dwg file to get the desired version, the new file lose everything that was in it and instead only gets a layer named surface.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

I simply want to copy dwg files and write them identically into a new folder, but in version Release 2013/AC1027.

Any form of hint is greatly appreciated!

1 reply

Badge +2

Hi @bjornohlsson,

I know that some time has passed since you first wrote this but were you able to get this working?

You are correct in using a Dataset Fanout but you will also want to use a Feature Type Fanout on the Layer Name parameter to ensure that the layers are created properly in the output DWG file(s). In your case, you will want to expose the fme_feature_type and fme_basename format attributes in the Reader. You can do this when adding the reader by clicking on Parameters and going to the Additional Attributes to Expose parameter under Schema Attributes. I would recommend setting the reader workflow option to "Single Merged" - if you would like you can also use a wildcard for the dataset parameter to read in all .dwg files.

On the writer side, you will want to set the Fanout Dataset parameter to:

@Value(fme_basename).dwg

0684Q00000ArJkOQAV.png

and set the Layer name to (or select it from the drop-down)

@Value(fme_feature_type)

0684Q00000ArJsLQAV.png

This will perform a feature type fanout on top of a dataset fanout. Note: if you have any other attributes I would recommend setting the Attribute Definition on the User Attributes tab to Dynamic. For more information see the Dynamic Workflows tutorial.

I have provided a sample workspace (DWG to DWG however). Try running the attached workspace and see if that helps (note: I set a wildcard "*.dwg" on the source parameter so you just have to point it to the folder containing the source data).

Civil3D_to_DWG_Dynamic.fmw