Question

Download/Use Data of Onedrive Shared Link / Excel Online

Badge +7
Dear FME-Community,

We have a customer who wants to update an excel-file regularly with data.

The customer placed the file on his onedrive account and shared the link with us to be able

to read the data.

Now we want to directly process and read the data of this Excel online file using FME.

Is it possible? I couldn't get the Onedrive-Connector to work, because we don't want to use

any files on our own account, but want to use the shared link of our customer.

I also had a look for possibilites, to download this Excel file on a regular basis on our server.

Also with no success...

Thx for any tips or hints.. best regards, Chris

13 replies

Badge +7

As a Workaround, I only see putting the customer's Excel on our own Onedrive Account,

and share the link with him as modifiable... Would be nice to use his "shared link" directly...
Badge +16

As a Workaround, I only see putting the customer's Excel on our own Onedrive Account,

and share the link with him as modifiable... Would be nice to use his "shared link" directly...

Hi @reservoirdog,

Did the client provide you with his connection user/pw? and make the file sharable?

Badge +7

Hi @reservoirdog,

Did the client provide you with his connection user/pw? and make the file sharable?

Hi @itay

Nope, no credentials (I think it's his private/company account), and the Excel is read-only.

Badge +16

Hi @itay

Nope, no credentials (I think it's his private/company account), and the Excel is read-only.

That might be the reason why you cannot get the connection working and get to the xls file.

Badge +7

That might be the reason why you cannot get the connection working and get to the xls file.

Yea, I already realized that the OnedriveConnector only works if you have full credentials. But that means you can only work with files you are hosting on your own account. I thought there is a way to work with these "shared links", as I can download the Excel via Excel Online without any problem (manually). Perfect would be direct Read-Access on any "Office Online" Files...

Badge +2

Hi @reservoirdog, I think you are correct, accessing a file through a shared link is currently not possible. We would love to get a better understanding of the community's interest in this. And it would be really helpful if you could add your suggestion as a new Idea here.

Badge +21

Hi @reservoirdog

Have you tried to connect through Microsoft Graph API (https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/76488/connection-to-microsoft-graph-api.html ) ? This should work given the right permissions.

Badge +7

Hey @sigtill, thx for your hint!

We solved it hosting the Excel on our own Onedrive Account so that we could easily access it.

If I have a similar case in the future I will get back to your suggestion...

Badge

Hey @sigtill, thx for your hint!

We solved it hosting the Excel on our own Onedrive Account so that we could easily access it.

If I have a similar case in the future I will get back to your suggestion...

can you share with me how to access onedrive file (xlsx) in personal onedrive account. I tried to use OnedriveConnector (graph) but it failed authentication after i typed my username, passcode sent to my phone.

Badge

can you share with me how to access onedrive file (xlsx) in personal onedrive account. I tried to use OnedriveConnector (graph) but it failed authentication after i typed my username, passcode sent to my phone.

this is an error message i got after using OnedriveConnector (graph). Can you advise what i should do?thanks.

Badge +2

this is an error message i got after using OnedriveConnector (graph). Can you advise what i should do?thanks.

Hi @pinkautumn,

If you are using a personal OneDrive account you should be able to access it using the default Microsoft OneDrive (Graph) web service rather than the Microsoft (Graph) web connection that is provided on the FME Hub. Are you able to try creating a new web connection in the OneDriveConnector transformer and authenticating using the Microsoft OneDrive (Graph) web service?

I believe the Microsoft (Graph) web connection from the hub should only be required if you are trying to connect to an Azure portal enterprise account.

Hope that helps.

Badge

Hi @pinkautumn,

If you are using a personal OneDrive account you should be able to access it using the default Microsoft OneDrive (Graph) web service rather than the Microsoft (Graph) web connection that is provided on the FME Hub. Are you able to try creating a new web connection in the OneDriveConnector transformer and authenticating using the Microsoft OneDrive (Graph) web service?

I believe the Microsoft (Graph) web connection from the hub should only be required if you are trying to connect to an Azure portal enterprise account.

Hope that helps.

Hi @chrisatsafe thank you for your feedback, yes, i am trying to create a new web connection in the OneDriveConnector transformer and authenticating using the Microsoft OneDrive (Graph) web service in FME 2019.1. After logging in my personal username and password for Onedrive, click Next it asks for verification code sent to my mobile number, after that it showed the error msg that i shared in previous post. I succesfully logged in my Onedrive in portal.office.com outside FME.

Is it possible that you can share with me the screenshot of step that you suggest me to follow in order to successfully connect to onedrive on FME workflow? Thanks and best regards.

Badge +2

Hi @chrisatsafe thank you for your feedback, yes, i am trying to create a new web connection in the OneDriveConnector transformer and authenticating using the Microsoft OneDrive (Graph) web service in FME 2019.1. After logging in my personal username and password for Onedrive, click Next it asks for verification code sent to my mobile number, after that it showed the error msg that i shared in previous post. I succesfully logged in my Onedrive in portal.office.com outside FME.

Is it possible that you can share with me the screenshot of step that you suggest me to follow in order to successfully connect to onedrive on FME workflow? Thanks and best regards.

Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots of this as I haven't done it myself but do you have admin consent for this and have you tried clearing your cookies before attempting to login re-connect?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/manage-apps/configure-admin-consent-workflow

Additionally, just to confirm, have you met all of the requirements on https://hub.safe.com/publishers/gerhardatsafe/web-connections/microsoft-graph