Question

Revit to IFC Quick Translator Issue

• 24 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello fellas,

I've been trying out the new Revit reader and convert it to IFC similar to what Autodesk Revit could do. Nonetheless, the FME Quick Translator could not handle the translation. Is there a quick and "plug and play" workbench for this matter? I have tried setting up the workbench but creating multiple IFC sub-classes (e.g. IfcWall, IfcBuildingStorey, etc) but the result is not ideal. The converted data stored in a table instead of 2D/3D?

I m looking for a solution to export IFC and CityGML from Revit in one workbench/ one source. Appreciate it.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @nigelaec,

Thanks for your question! Revit to IFC is a more complex workspace in FME and requires a bit more data transformation via the use of transformers, rather than what the Quick Translator can provide, though it can be a good starting point. We don't currently have an article example on this specific transformation, so there isn't a readily available method to 'plug and play' just yet.

For now, I've put together an example for writing from Revit to IFC (credits and thanks to @daveatsafe for the original workspace). If you're interested in delving more into the workspace and taking it further to make it work for your data, here are some key highlights about the workspace:

Workspace key highlights

• Geometry: Revit (fme_type = surface) to IFC (fme_type needs to be solids)
  • Property Sets: will contain most of the attributes coming out of Revit, check IFC documentation on Property Sets to set this correctly
  • currently this workspace just converts walls, rooms, and windows. Note that for Windows, the green transformer is a custom transformer, wrapping up two bookmarks neatly. You can keep using this custom transformer for each feature type (ex. Architectural.Roofs > IfcGeometryConverter > IfcRoof) so each feature type needs to be handled in independent streams. (note this custom transformer only exists in this workspace)

Data / Resources

• the data I used was the rac_basic_sample_project.rvt provided from Autodesk's sample files
  • this workspace is also based off of this AutoCad to IFC example which also includes a downloadable example

It's a similar case for Revit to CityGML, in that you will need to restructure the data to fit the target format. These tutorials work with IFC to CityGML but may be helpful references: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1025/bim-to-gis-intermediate-ifc-lod-300-to-lod-4-cityg.html

Hope that helps a bit!

rvt-to-ifc.fmw

Thanks a lot @jovitaatsafe!! Would there be any quick translation offered by FME in the near future?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Thanks a lot @jovitaatsafe!! Would there be any quick translation offered by FME in the near future?

@nigelaec,

no problem! Unfortunately, it's unlikely that this translation will become an automatic one generated by Quick Translation anytime in the near future as it can be rather complex.

While Safe Support doesn't offer services, we have an amazing group of Authorized Partners who do, and you can filter your search through location as well as industry and expertise if that's something that might interest you.

For a plug and play, the closest we'll have are our Articles such as in this BIM Tutorial. Articles in our knowledge Base will generally have completed example workspaces and sample data, and many of the workspaces can be used as templates to build your workflow upon.