Question

Maximo Transformers

Badge

Hi @daveatsafe et al, if I am using the Maximo Transformers in FME Workbench, what Reader or Writer do I use? For example, if I am reading from a ESRI FGDB and I get certain records with attributes from that read, and I wish to write them to a Maximo Asset, I understand that I must use the MaximoObjectUpdater. But what Writer do I use? Or, If I am reading from a Maximo Asset, I must use the MaximoObjectQuerier. But what Reader do I use? Thanks, Mark

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @mdumka,

In your situation, the MaximoObjectUpdater is effectively the writer, so no other writers are required. When reading from Maximo, you need a source of query features. This can be as simple as a Creator transformer, with an AttributeCreator to create the query parameters, if desired.

Badge

Hi @daveatsafe, I didn't realize you could run FME Workbench without a Reader and or Writer. Is that true? Regarding the requirement to create a source of query features, these features must be created upstream of the MaximoObjectQuerier, correct? And these features would be "empty" until they received data from the MaximoObjectQuerier, correct? How does FME know how many of these features to create, if the Creator transformer is beforeMaximoObjectQuerier? Also, I can use AttributeCreator without Creator, no?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

All FME processes must have a source of features to work on. Normally, this source is a reader, but the Creator transformer is designed to be an alternate feature source for situations where you don't want a reader.

The feature sent to the MaximoObjectQuerier is just a trigger to launch the query, similar to the SQLExecutor. The MaximoObjectQuerier will output all records in Maximo that match the query, with each record as a separate FME feature. So you only need to create a single feature in the Creator.

The AttributeCreator creates new attributes on an existing feature, so it must have a source of features.