Question

File Geodatabase to File Geodatabase translation with @Value Additions

• 22 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi Forum,

Apologies if this has been posted before but speaking to the Live Chat team they were unfortunately unable to provide a detailed solution.

I have a ESRI File Geodatabase containing features with attributes, Number, Address, Town.

I am translating from one FGDB to another (also as a test the same FGDB) with the addition of an Attribute Manager in the middle in order to create a new field "SEARCH_ADDRESS" I create a new Attribute with the expression as follows:

@Value(NUMBER), @Value(ADDRESS), @Value(TOWN).

The attribute manager accepts these as valid field expressions, however the new field does not carry over to the output Feature class. When the translation is run I get the error that there conflicting Object ID's

"User field name 'OBJECTID' conflicts with a value of feature type parameter ' Object ID Field' ('OBJECTID') for table/feature class 'DELETE_TEST_OUTPUT'. The user field will be ignored"

I spoke with Safe Live chat and was suggested to add an attribute remover to remove the OBJECTID field prior to output writer, however this was unsuccessful, It writes out an identical copy of the original with duplicate records.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this please?

Thanks

2 replies

Badge +10

Hi @nz

There are a couple of things that could be happening:

• Can you check that the new attribute you are creating is on the Writer Feature Type. A good way to see what attributes are being written is by going to the Writer Feature Type > User Attributes > setting the Attribute Definition to "Automatic". This will allow you to see what attributes are being written to the feature class
    • Ensure that a) ObjectID is not an attribute on the writer feature type and b) your new attribute "SEARCH_ADDRESS" is in the list
  • With regards to duplicates being seen, check the Writer Feature Type feature operation and table handling parameters. If you are always "inserting" then you will see multiple records repeated many times. Please see the File Geodatabase Writer documentation, specifically the Table Settings: General section, for more information on what each parameter value does

I hope this information is helpful!

If you are still needing further assistance, please attach your workspace and log file. If you are unable to share your workspace and log file in the public forum, please submit a case via our report a problem page.

- Andrea

Badge

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the reply, it seems a simple checkbox was my undoing...

I don't know why the user attribution changed to manual by default.

The response worked perfectly. Thank you very much for your help!