Solved

CAD to web map tiles

• 13 July 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge

I am a web developer and I need to convert maps, on regular bases, from CAD files to web map tiles for google maps. there are few resources regarding the subject. I found one youtube tutorial from the company and it was poorly explained. I tried to do the same but failed convert the files. here are the files I am working on, it would be nice if you can take a look at them: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwMirpbclFbrY1loNVNuSUFzQ2c

take it easy on me as I know little about CAD/FME/civil eng.

thank you for taking the time to read my problem.

regards

Sami

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 14 July 2016, 13:13

View original

2 replies

Badge

here is a snapshot. could you please help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Okay, I've taken a look at it and I think you need to make a few little changes:

1. The ImageRasterizer was set to produce a 1x1 pixel image, you'll need to change that and it's probably best to change from specifying a number of columns and rows to specifying pixel size (and set that to the most detailed of the zoom levels you want to produce)
  2. The WebMapTiler was set to create tiles for zoom levels 1 and 2, those would be two of the least detailed (global) ones. I think zoom level 0 is 1 tile for the entire earth, so 1 would be 4 tiles for the entire earth. You'll need to figure out which ones you want.
  3. The output feature type should be set to use the fme_basename attribute as output filename, that way the tiles get the proper naming scheme.

Here's a screenshot of my changes.

Now, in addition to that there's something else you may want to consider. Right now you're using FeatureColorSetters to add color to your map objects. If you replace those transformers and the ImageRasterizer with a single MapnikRasterizer you will get some more control over the styling (e.g. you can also set line widths. Also, I've found that in some of my projects the MapnikRasterizer was a lot faster than the ImageRasterizer, so it may give you a performance boost too.

Hope this helps.