Question

Mapinfo styling to sld

• 3 June 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi,

I have Mapinfo projects and want to use them in QGIS.

The .tab file is no problem to read. But I don´t get the style definition from the mapinfo file. Is there any possibility to transform mapinfo files to the sld format? Or is there another way to get the style informations from a mapinfo file?

Thanks and best regards

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @joe_gerner,

Thanks for your question! Unfortunately writing to SLD files isn't supported yet, but there is an idea here for it if you would like to upvote it and comment with your use case.

I took a look at the accepted formats in QGIS and noticed that it does accept MapInfo layers if you wanted to look into that. In this QGIS documentation if you scroll down a bit, there's a blog post titled "New Tool: MapInfo to QGIS style converter" that you could explore.

There's been some speculation in the community about SLD being an XML file and that it might be possible to manipulate the XML if you are very familiar with the SLD structure. Most of the previous cases though in wanting to write to SLD are going between QGIS and Geoserver.

Lastly in my search, this answer from GIS Stack Exchange suggests that it's not easy to store MapInfo styles within QGIS, and likely requires a plugin. Hope that helps!

- Jovita