Question

How to calculate distance time?

• 26 December 2014
  • 5 replies

Hello,

i have to do a study for university, but i am having a hard time with FME as I am begginer. I need to calculate the number of people that are localizated in a distance of 30 minutes from hospitals. How should i proceed? Thank you very much for your help and merry christmas!

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

Depends on the source data. What kind of data do you have?

Takashi
Hello! Thank you for your quick answer! So actually its just a theory essay so I dont really have the source data. So I need to write about all the process including the data. I thought about having as source data: the adress of women (the exercice precises that) and the adresse of the hospitals. Would that be enough? What would it be better as source data? Thank you again! All the best, 
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
There should be different thoughts according to how you measure distance and time.

If you can assume that the straight distance between the hospital and each person is simply proportional to time (e.g. 10km = 20min), at least their coordinates would be necessary as the source data. Maybe it's the simplest case.

However, if you need to consider distance along roads, you have to create a road network data (road lines and nodes). and so on.
Thank you again for your quick answer. So if i create a road network data, how should I  proceed in FME? For example if I have the adress of women, the adresse of the hospitals and a road network data. Thank you again. 
Userlevel 4
Hi,

it's probably possible, but FME doesn't have much functionality for drive-time analysis, etc, so you'll probably have to implement most of it yourself.

I'd recommend using ArcGIS with the Network Analyst extension for this, if possible.

David