Question

Using FME Desktop to read from Google's user directory

• 22 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello. I'm trying to figure out if I can rely on FME Desktop for ETL jobs that need to read from Google G-Suite user directory (for group memberships in particular). There is some group information in Google that's useful to us, but unfortunately it does not live in our Active Directory....so we would need to pull from both sources to collect the user-related data we want.

6 replies

Badge +9

Hello @rbarley,

It looks like Google G Suite has a REST API which is great news because FME should be able to work with it! You can use an API call within a transformer called the HTTPCaller. For more information on using the HTTPCaller in a workspace. I'd recommend trying this exercise.

Please let me know if you have any questions about using the REST API in a workspace.

Badge

Interesting...that could totally work. Thanks for pointing me in that direction and suggesting an exercise to get started. I'll check back in with any questions I may have along the way and will post back if I come up with a good solution. Thanks, @SiennaAtSafe!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Interesting...that could totally work. Thanks for pointing me in that direction and suggesting an exercise to get started. I'll check back in with any questions I may have along the way and will post back if I come up with a good solution. Thanks, @SiennaAtSafe!

Please do let us know how this worked out. Definitely an interesting use case.

Badge
Please do let us know how this worked out. Definitely an interesting use case.

I will do so. For now, there's nothing to report, as I have a few higher priority issues I need to tackle. It will likely be early December before I'm able to fully address this.

Badge +1

HI guys, IS there any option to unzip the downloaded files from the web?

Badge +9

HI guys, IS there any option to unzip the downloaded files from the web?

Hi @miharobar,

Using the HTTPCaller, you can download a zipped file. This is done by changing "Save Response Body To: Attribute" to "Save Response Body To: File"

Then, you can read in the zipped files using the FeatureReader.

When selecting the Dataset, just ensure that the .zip file option is selected.

If you are having any issues with this. Please let us know.

Sienna