Solved

After upgrading my FME Server to 2019 +, should I recreate all of my Schedules within Automations?

• 14 January 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

In FME Server 2019 + a new feature 'Automations' was introduced. Among other things this features allows you to create Schedules, however the Schedules only page still exists as well.

1. After a successful restore should I convert all my existing Schedules into Automations?
  2. Moving forward how do I decide when I should be using the Schedules page vs building an Automation?
icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 14 January 2020, 20:59

View original

1 reply

Badge +2

1. After a successful restore should I convert all my existing Schedules into Automations?

No, it is not necessary to re-create all of your schedules as automations. The parameter configuration required for schedules is the same in both places on FME Server, so they will provide the same overall outcome. I would advise evaluating each existing schedule and whether it is related to any other events happening on the Server to determine if it would be beneficial to move these into a single automation. If the schedules are not connected to anything else and are set up to run a single job only then it’s really down to user preference, and you may opt to continue managing these from the schedules page.

2. Moving forward how do I decide when I should be using the Schedules page vs building an Automation?

This decision should be made on a per schedule basis and is dependent on what the overall aim of that schedule will be. In general we’d recommend using automations when you are creating a new schedule that is involved in more complex workflows, for example if you...

• Would like a single schedule to submit multiple jobs
  • Need additional actions to take place in response to a job triggered by a schedule
  • Have a project that overall contains multiple schedules or a schedule among other triggers
  • Would like an action other than a workspace to be triggered by a schedule