Question

How to determine whether the current FME is 32bit or 64bit ?

• 23 February 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge

I use PythonCaller to call ArcPy in my workspace, because the ArcPy can only be called by 32 bit FME, so I want to judge whether FME is 32 bit when workspace running.

I am now using $(FME_HOME) according to the installation directory FME to judge it, I would like to ask whether there is a better way.

9 replies

Userlevel 4

To the best of my knowledge there is no method to get this information in the fmeobjects API, but you can check the version of the Python interpreter itself:

import sys
is64bit = sys.maxsize > 2**32
if is64bit:
    print "FME is 64-bit version"
else:
    print "FME is 32-bit version"

This works because the 32-bit version of FME can only work with the 32-bit version of Python, etc.

Badge

Hi @taojunabc

Another possibility is to check the log file since the version is mentioned in there:
import fme
import fmeobjects
import re

def checkVersion(feature):    
    log_file = fmeobjects.FMELogFile()
    name_log_file = log_file.getFileName()

with open(name_log_file, 'r') as f:
        content = f.read().replace('\n','')

try:
        line = re.search('(?<=\|INFORM\|FME \d{4}\.\d\.\d\.\d \().*?(?=\))', content).group(0)
        version = re.search('\d+$', line).group(0)
        log_file.logMessageString('The version of FME is {}'.format(version), fmeobjects.FME_WARN)
    except:
        log_file.logMessageString('The version could not be found', fmeobjects.FME_ERROR)

I added an idea to provide this information in the fme-module:

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/40450/add-3264-bit-information-to-python-module-fme.html

Badge

To the best of my knowledge there is no method to get this information in the fmeobjects API, but you can check the version of the Python interpreter itself:

import sys
if is64bit:
else:

This works because the 32-bit version of FME can only work with the 32-bit version of Python, etc.

Nice and clean solution!

Userlevel 4

Hi @taojunabc

Another possibility is to check the log file since the version is mentioned in there:
import fme
import fmeobjects
import re

try:
        line = re.search('(?<=\|INFORM\|FME \d{4}\.\d\.\d\.\d \().*?(?=\))', content).group(0)
        log_file.logMessageString('The version of FME is {}'.format(version), fmeobjects.FME_WARN)
    except:
        log_file.logMessageString('The version could not be found', fmeobjects.FME_ERROR)

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/40450/add-3264-bit-information-to-python-module-fme.html

Just be aware that the log file doesn't exist yet if you try to call this in e.g. the startup script or in a scripted parameter.
Badge

import sys
if is64bit:
else:

@david_r

Very simple solution, Nice! Thanks.

I watched the FME installation directory, found that some of these documents are different, there is a shw.dll file to install directory under 32bit fme for example, there is a shw64.dll file to install directory under the 64, I think it can also be used to determine the file exists to determine the current FME version. Although this method is can not guarantee the future version after the upgrade also is useful.

import os,fme
is64bit = os.path.exists(fme.macroValues['FME_HOME']+'shw64.dll')
if is64bit:
else:
Badge

Hi @taojunabc

import fme
import fmeobjects
import re

try:
    except:

@jeroenstiers ,Thanks. You offer a different approach.

But, as @david_r says, the log files may not exist at the beginning.

My method is to place a simple workspace in the same directory, then call it by WorkspaceRunner, and then read the log file. This ensures the existence of log file.

0684Q00000ArMd2QAF.jpg

sub.fmw

get-fme-platform.fmw

In addition, I improved the regular expression, it will look more simple.

platform = re.search('FME Platform: (.+?)
', content).group(1)
Badge

@david_r 

Today, When I check out the new fme python api document, I found that FME api provides a “FME_BUILD_STRING” property in the fmeobjects class.This property is also valid in 2017.

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/fmepython/api/fmeobjects/constants.html

import fmeobjects
def GetBuildString(feature):
    feature.setAttribute('bulidString',fmeobjects.FME_BUILD_STRING)
Userlevel 4
@david_r

Very simple solution, Nice! Thanks.

I watched the FME installation directory, found that some of these documents are different, there is a shw.dll file to install directory under 32bit fme for example, there is a shw64.dll file to install directory under the 64, I think it can also be used to determine the file exists to determine the current FME version. Although this method is can not guarantee the future version after the upgrade also is useful.

import os,fme
is64bit = os.path.exists(fme.macroValues['FME_HOME']+'shw64.dll')
if is64bit:
else:
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend doing this, too many assumptions for my taste.
Userlevel 4

@david_r 

Today, When I check out the new fme python api document, I found that FME api provides a “FME_BUILD_STRING” property in the fmeobjects class.This property is also valid in 2017.

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/fmepython/api/fmeobjects/constants.html

import fmeobjects
def GetBuildString(feature):
    feature.setAttribute('bulidString',fmeobjects.FME_BUILD_STRING)
Good find, thanks for sharing.