Solved

FME server 2016 vs 2017

• 11 September 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

As we have FME server deployed externally, I have to make a trade off to either upgrade or skip a version.

Big changes I found were:

- GUI (less clicks)

- Projects (export/import for better DTAP)

- Security (AD)

Do I miss any important changes, besides the upgraded FME Desktop functionality? (readers / writers / transformers)

With these changes I tend to skip a version as nothing comes for free, please don't be offended dear Safers. I am very happy with the functionality in the 2016.1 package. As a technician I would love to upgrade but you know how it works...

icon

Best answer by david_r 11 September 2017, 14:13

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4

There's a pretty good rundown of what's new in FME Server 2017 here:

https://blog.safe.com/2017/01/2017-fme-server-customer-survey/

Badge +2

Hi @nielsgerrits

In addition to the blog post that @david_r shared, this webinar also takes a look at what was new in FME Server 2017: https://www.safe.com/webinars/deep-dive-fme-server-2017/
Badge +11

@nielsgerrits Rest assured, we are not offended! Upgrades are not always necessary if everything is working to your expectations and you are not in any need of the new functionality being offered. Sure we all like to have the latest functionality, gadgets and all, but it can be a fair amount of overhead to put through an upgrade if it isn't going to resolve some key issue for your team. The process can be quite involved and resource intensive to get through all the required testing for the different environments you might manage.

I am curious if you are interested in sharing any of your key pain points with the upgrade process of FME Server/FME Desktop or any ides (please create new ideas) that might help your decision to upgrade? Feel free to create a new question/idea so I don't hijack your current topic.

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Hi @nielsgerrits

In addition to the blog post that @david_r shared, this webinar also takes a look at what was new in FME Server 2017: https://www.safe.com/webinars/deep-dive-fme-server-2017/
I should have thought about this... Thanks :)
Userlevel 6
Badge +31

@nielsgerrits Rest assured, we are not offended! Upgrades are not always necessary if everything is working to your expectations and you are not in any need of the new functionality being offered. Sure we all like to have the latest functionality, gadgets and all, but it can be a fair amount of overhead to put through an upgrade if it isn't going to resolve some key issue for your team. The process can be quite involved and resource intensive to get through all the required testing for the different environments you might manage.

I am curious if you are interested in sharing any of your key pain points with the upgrade process of FME Server/FME Desktop or any ides (please create new ideas) that might help your decision to upgrade? Feel free to create a new question/idea so I don't hijack your current topic.

No real pains. We do desktop installations ourselves. Server is hosted with our other server stuff. Stable upgrading server software means hours of work and just need to check if I missed something before pulling the plug. I think projects and AD integration are great developments we should manage without those the coming year.

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

There's a pretty good rundown of what's new in FME Server 2017 here:

https://blog.safe.com/2017/01/2017-fme-server-customer-survey/

Found that one, forgot to mention. Confirms I'm in the right direction, thanks!
Badge +22

My pain point with an in-situ upgrade, is that we can't just patch a minor version (2017.0 -> 2017.1), we have to uninstall the existing version, and reinstall the new version.