Question

How to convert Cad points to geodb_polylines?

• 28 March 2014
  • 8 replies

Badge
I have a series of dynamic blocks that can stretch in AutoCAD that I would like to convert and store in a geodb_polyline feature set., is this possible?  I tried Point connector with no luck?

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

Whether it's possible depends on the condition.

The PointConnector is usually used to transform a series of points into a line. Why didn't it work in your case?

If the reason had been clarified, maybe we could suggest a solution.

Takashi
Badge +3
To use pointconnector, the points must be ordered (using some ID).

I assume the blocks are points? Or are we talking insertionpoints?

Maybe example data, pics or, as Takashi says, some clarification?

Gio

Badge
Thank you for your help and comments. I think that the pointconnector will not work due to the dynamic block only has one point, but in AutoCAD it appears as a polyline. Is there a way to do the Pointconnector for the start and end XY?
Badge

Badge

I would have to use these atributes to create the line.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
I guess you have extracted required coordinates (x, y, z). Then, how about creating point based on the coordinate before connecting points?

To create a point, you can use the VertexCreator (Mode: Replace with Point).

If you are using FME 2013, use 2D or 3DPointReplacer instead.
Badge +3
Hi,

A block itself only has, indeed, an insertion point.W

When u insert the block(s) in a drawing, ie an empty drawing, you can then read it.

Exposing relevant autocad attribute gives u acces to the data, like start and end point.

I have done this to legend-blocks we use in autocad. By inserting it, i could completly read it, geometry, values, text, logo's, using fme.

Gio

Badge +3
I just checked the workspace i used, i appeared to have read the PSVPORTS, the paperspace.

In an epty dwg where bound the relevant block.

That way i got acces to the block-content using fme, normal autocad reader.

Gio