Question

Centroid polyline

• 8 September 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi all

simple question ...

I have a street network with polyline and I need to extract a centroid of polylines but the polylines are aggregates so if I use CenterPointReplacer I obtain the centroid but not on the polyline

Can you help please ?

In Arc also if the polyline are aggregates feature to pint create a centroid along the line.

Francesco

5 replies

Badge

Hi @frsisani

My first thought is to use the snipper transformer using percentage and 50 for the start and end locations as this will create a point half way along the line but on the line unlike a centroid.

It is not clear if you want a point for each of the de-aggregated polylines or a point for the aggregated polylines. Attached is a sample workflow.

pointsonlinecentre-demo-acad2none.fmw is a 2018.1 workspace to do this.

Badge

Hi @frsisani

My first thought is to use the snipper transformer using percentage and 50 for the start and end locations as this will create a point half way along the line but on the line unlike a centroid.

It is not clear if you want a point for each of the de-aggregated polylines or a point for the aggregated polylines. Attached is a sample workflow.

pointsonlinecentre-demo-acad2none.fmw is a 2018.1 workspace to do this.

Hi elpone

thx for reply

Maybe it's better to attach a small dataset to clarify my task

I used the snipper but if I use the options deggregate I obtain one point for every part of polyline my goal is to have only one point along line (it's not important to have the exact centroid but it's important to have the point along line and again just one point for the complete polyline).

thx

Francesco

rnr.zip

Userlevel 1
Badge +21
Hi elpone

thx for reply

I used the snipper but if I use the options deggregate I obtain one point for every part of polyline my goal is to have only one point along line (it's not important to have the exact centroid but it's important to have the point along line and again just one point for the complete polyline).

thx

Francesco

rnr.zip

Try a linecombiner after the deaggregator if you only want one point along each original line.

Badge
Hi elpone

thx for reply

thx

Francesco

rnr.zip

Hi @frsisani,

I would suggest adding in a line combiner between the deaggregator and snipper transformer. In effect this will convert the mult-lines into a single combined object. In effect it removes pseudo nodes. Use the Group By to define what makes an object. If the de-aggreagation outputs are contiguous the line-combiner transformer will form a single polyline.

Hope that helps

Hi @frsisani,

how about using LineDivider from FME Hub? Please, have a look at this workspace:

Below result:

It works quite nice with lines. Unfortunately, gets a bit lost with some close loops or when line has more than 2 ends...