Question

Translating KMZ to GeoTIFF - issues

• 25 September 2013
  • 3 replies

I am an infrequent user of FME and am having issues with converting a KMZ to GeoTIFF. The KMZ was created using the Map to KML tool in ArcGIS 10.0, and it displays correctly when I preview it in the Universal Viewer. When I try to run it through the Quick Translator, I get the following error message:

GEOTIFF writer: Failed to obtain a raster geometry from the feature. Only features with raster geometry are expected by the GEOTIFF writer

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Feature Type: `Placemark'

Geometry Type: Unknown (0)

===========================================================================

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

I've tried running the translation with different settings in Parameters but it will not work. Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

The KML/KMZ dataset usually contains several feature types, the Quick Translator seems to send all features (including non-raster) to the writer. I think the error occurred when the GEOTIFF writer received a non-raster feature.

I'm not sure how we can avoid it in the Quick Translator, but using the Workbench could be a workaround.

Add a "Google Earth KML" (OGCKML) reader and a GEOTIFF writer to the workspace, and then send only the feature containing the raster (probably "GroundOverlay") to the writer.

Takashi
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

If you are unsure which feature type is the raster you can use the geometry filter to grab the raster.
Badge +14
As Takaski suggests the Quick Translator is not flexible enough to resolve this issue, you'll need to switch to Workbench. You are attempting a process that may have vector data in the source KML file and the GeoTIFF writer must recieve Raster data. So in workbench you need to add a KML reader and then a GeometryFilter to route any Vector features to a transformer caqlled the Rasterizer, this will turn all your graphics into rasters that can be sent to the GeoTIFF writer without getting the error you're seeing.