Question

Pass password, get plaintext

• 6 October 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge
Hi,

I use the readerprompt widget [1] and pass all parameters to my reader using RUNTIME_MACROS (as described in the link). One of the returned values is a password (GUI type: password [2]), like:

"RUNTIME_MACROS,...<comma>USERNAME<comma>bob<comma>PASSWORD<comma>fme_decrypt<openparen>MDowfCN8I3xcG3GQ<solidus>TeRRUJUZ5LDPtdvpscbh7Nj9gG<solidus>INBkAGA+fkaDrNbhZtfa3rmkUUrCxKWaAFwiYsKgWJNl<solidus>0mRpxUuP+IT2c+Qhh26JEZtUWAmpuoaQCdQ3ykKWm2zaoAM5MBCGaGEuYe+6AS07<solidus>nLNRJwqp1jdwP1FgVCbXRvZtWfKjEZlNJYQ+EicVc6cv2DxCYJyTljvXwF8mKxenML6FKJiHARQCO8OMJidKKZQJP1SeYIhqB0YrtGw4cGV2ZquQKifvRjB2Tl6wBAWDmeCg+R1jvft1tR17SISyTDv77K+mV80w2aaUSgybbF7coM0BrQPcpehfjlW+YxV73+9mPMFXKQeznZ22T8MJor57O44p8U2NQCw35HiFBs0oVP9VkkY0D<solidus>WzGRevseyX1pIEWJSQSFwkJVhiyXavMDz5E5SEYgTZHfVeGBXCDuIEEbfRRkPU5yD2nw2ZAVimDRD7UQhEEY6PosGqU17He4y35WEfAggQ40+EKuupOQSZRsKotTTqlYGHJtX49ymuKqfyZzOAUSUzDMcj8gfDgzOCcuhw2sK3fJaMsz9ZV9+y<solidus>Vf7hyk9rwq4f3aoyrwX7P<solidus>Hp65YhE5rOxzPLjSh1i2S9mZLDBE5c3czZRpJB4rJsC8kl4zQ96C63rTh4NziSj8cEBK+AJpcwnvdQwVUQ1UYJiXWKb5weIFYW4O5a4+xBilEYr8wu1Z6sc8CVeiToCUH+0q4TzMs+OpBj1jaPlqxZ7McVC6K62uafWtXgUCUudmT8ELma9MZhyYiO59w6FvDztQBokoFD2ZIxITBZonuWecxIXcQXzjv+sSCpuV2TaqJBdRm4wmo07qgKwOtzG3b<solidus>GvDfQTfePDtsd0GxWk85fxFcdxZlVpv32D0Mi2FTeHu1MOTgbj7PrqTwvWBUXrNNO<closeparen><comma>..."

Of course, I need the plaintext. How can I get the plaintext?

Thanks

ben

[1] http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_GuiType/doc_pages/readerprompt.txt

[2] http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_GuiType/doc_pages/password.txt

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi

I searched around a bit and I couldn't find anything either. I suspect that Safe does not want to expose the "fme_decrypt" function since it would go against the very idea of encrypting the passwords in the first place.

David

Badge
Thanks for answering.

Can I set the password as a publish parameter? Then, my reader could read it from there.

I heard about TCL and scripted parameters, but I am not sure if that can help me in this scenario.
Userlevel 4
Sure, you can define a published parameter of type text that you link to the database password parameter.

You probably do not need to use any TCL or scripted parameters for this.

David
Badge

Security Issue (for me)

If you want to decrypt the password, it's very simple.

• Create a private parameter with your password
  • AttributeSetter: create a new attribute and set the value with your private parameter
  • Logger

Your password is decrypted

Badge

Security Issue (for me)

If you want to decrypt the password, it's very simple.

• Create a private parameter with your password
  • AttributeSetter: create a new attribute and set the value with your private parameter
  • Logger

Your password is decrypted

FME Desktop 2016