Question

Automate workspace deployment with FME Server

• 13 November 2014
  • 2 replies

As a developer

I want to automate the deployment of fme workspaces

So that I can deploy fme code alongside the rest of my solution

Given that I have one or more fmw files that have been developed using FME desktop as part of a wider solution

When I run my silent install/automated deployment

Then there is an FME server workspace for each source fmw file

and the workspaces are in the correct target repositories

and these are available to the solution through the rest api

On install, the default workspaces of fme server 2014 SP3 are installed using a script (configureDemoWorkspaces.bat) that calls out to java and a class (WorkspaceServiceInstaller) which uses an xml file (serviceWorkspaces.defs) to control which services to create - Is the WorkspaceServiceInstaller java class documented anywhere?

2 replies

Bump!

I am looking into doing the same, haven't found a good way of accomplishing this yet. Is there any guidance at all on how to approach this?

Badge

I am currently looking into automated deployment for a continuous integration where FME workspaces is part of a wider development here is how I do it:

1. The build server packages all fmw, py, sql, xml with a tag on each file (number, version...).
  2. The package is published on FME server using the API, publish to repository and register services, resources for each workspace (I'm not using the WorkspaceServiceInstaller).

The second part is working fine but the packaging together with the version tag is still under developpement.

The future is to automate tests on workspaces before publication...