Question

Rendering 3D points in FME AR

• 26 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi FMErs,

I have a 3D point dataset containing many other numeric attributes.

The dataset has been successfully written out to 3D point shape file with a feature writer.

In parallel with the shape feature writer, attempted to write out and test FME AR.

Both the shape file and fmear file appear in the inspection window OK, and are created and appear on the local disk.

When using the FME AR app on iOS, the app connects to the fmear file, but nothing appears in the viewing window.

To test the iOS, app, and the datasource, I used the example file and workspace, which correctly renders a surface and overlain image in FME AR app OK.

So question is, do the 3D points need some sort of default appearance / styling in order to render in the app? What if the points have no appearance set ? What is the default - White or transparent maybe?

Or is there some other requirement in order to render 3D points in the app correctly?

Ideally, for an impressive visualisation, maybe to extrude the points by a numeric attribute and then colour by another maybe better anyway.

Any help greatfully appreciated @mark2atsafe

Thanks in advance

Pat

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

I'm by no means an expert in 3D / AR but I suspect you need to replace the 3D points with something with volume, like spheres or boxes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Yes, I found that points are not a very good geometry for AR purposes. You could render them as spheres - which is what I tried - but that can take up a lot of space/processing if you have a lot of them (like a point cloud). If it's the right sort of data - like a point cloud or DEM - a better solution is to render it as a surface. Alternatively, yes, buffer to a circle and extrude, to get a nicer display.

Hope this helps!

Badge

Yes, I found that points are not a very good geometry for AR purposes. You could render them as spheres - which is what I tried - but that can take up a lot of space/processing if you have a lot of them (like a point cloud). If it's the right sort of data - like a point cloud or DEM - a better solution is to render it as a surface. Alternatively, yes, buffer to a circle and extrude, to get a nicer display.

Hope this helps!

Thanks @mark2atsafe, Because the points are already in 3D, i think the best short term solution is to buffer and extrude the points into cylinders. Thinking more broadly, there may be some code already available in the data inspection functionality that would really help users adjust these settings for AR output.