Question

Create word using Word TEMPLATE

• 16 April 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I have a word template with me and I would like to use that template to create a new document along with the custom content dynamically.

Cheers,

Srikanth

5 replies

Badge +2

Hi @kanthsri74. Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the Word writer currently doesn't support the true workflow of a Microsoft Word template. It will add new content at the end of the existing content of the "template" file, rather than filling in custom contents into the template.

We've realized the usage of the term "template" is misleading, so in 2019 we've changed the parameter for supplying this "template" file to be called Base Microsoft Word file, as this file is used to help define custom settings for headings, fonts, colors etc. (documentation change will follow soon)

Would you mind to please post your request as a new Idea. And share with us some details about what your intended scenario and workflow look like? That would be very helpful for us! Thank you!

Badge +1

Hi @kanthsri74. Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the Word writer currently doesn't support the true workflow of a Microsoft Word template. It will add new content at the end of the existing content of the "template" file, rather than filling in custom contents into the template.

We've realized the usage of the term "template" is misleading, so in 2019 we've changed the parameter for supplying this "template" file to be called Base Microsoft Word file, as this file is used to help define custom settings for headings, fonts, colors etc. (documentation change will follow soon)

Would you mind to please post your request as a new Idea. And share with us some details about what your intended scenario and workflow look like? That would be very helpful for us! Thank you!

Hi Xiaomeng,

I have a similar question regarding Base Word files. I have Base Files where I would like replace parts of the text and save a new .docx file. Could you point me to tutorials or any workaround where Feedback reports can be generated in some format, such as PDF or docx? I had a look at the MSStyleFormatter, but I do not wish to create a "new" base files, but just to edit/update the strings inside the Word Base File. For example, text in yellow just needs to be replaced:

Badge +22

Hi Xiaomeng,

I have a similar question regarding Base Word files. I have Base Files where I would like replace parts of the text and save a new .docx file. Could you point me to tutorials or any workaround where Feedback reports can be generated in some format, such as PDF or docx? I had a look at the MSStyleFormatter, but I do not wish to create a "new" base files, but just to edit/update the strings inside the Word Base File. For example, text in yellow just needs to be replaced:

Hi Freddy,

I've had success using python-docx in a pythonCaller to update an existing word document or template.

Badge +4

Hi Xiaomeng,

@jdh​ would it be possible to share your code example or workbench?

Badge +22

Hi Xiaomeng,

Unfortunately not, but I used an example provided by @ebygomm​ . She might be able to reupload the template from https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q000080hIPsSAM/mswordstyler-how-to-include-picture-in-table