Question

Why does the dynamic writer add extra attributes to my output?

• 2 March 2018
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I want to dynamically write out new files based on a set of input shapefiles. I want this output to be an exact copy of the input data except in a different format. I know that dynamic mode should work well for this type of workflow but I am getting lots of extra attributes in my output. It also seems like the schema being created contains all the attributes from all of the input shapefiles combined! What am I doing wrong?

1 reply

Badge +9

Hi FMELizard,

Most likely what has happened here is that you have added attributes on the writer feature type. This can easily happen when you switch from another mode (not Dynamic) to Dynamic mode. See this image:

In the image I've switched from Automatic mode to Dynamic and you will notice all the attributes are still listed and will be kept on the output. It is a nice feature to be able to add new attributes to dynamic workflows (.e.g. a timestamp) while still having the flexibility of the dynamic workspace, but in this case it can cause some trouble.

The simple test if you find yourself faced with this problem is to check your attribute definition tab in the writer and make sure you only list any new attributes. Most of the time you will want to see a blank list like so:

Hope that helps :)