Question

merge but by group

• 18 July 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge

Good day,

I have two tables with records that I want to join together based on the category attribute:

1.table:

First attribute is the client, second the category.

MAAS CA

MAAS IND

MAAS SWE

BWL CA

BWL NO

BWL EE

2.table:

First attribute is the cell, second the category.

CA345985 CA

CA290456 CA

IND789345 IND

SWE563843 SWE

EE621984 EE

NO893476 NO

EE972086 EE

IS856145 IS

What I would like to have as a result is to create an excel report per client. The report should only contain the cells whose category matches with the client ones in table 1.

e.g. MAAS_report.xls containing:

CA345985

CA290456

IND789345

SWE563843

and BWL_report.xls containing:

CA345985

CA290456

NO893476

EE972086

This is only a simplified example. I would need to create these reports for hundreds of clients which all should be compared to table 2.

Your help is really appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

You can use a FeatureMerger to join both datasets on the category attribute, make sure to create a list and then use a ListExploder to turn that into individual features again since there's a one-to-many relationship.

Then you can set a fanout on the Excel writer, using the client attribute as the filename, so for each unique client name you will get a new Excel file.

I've attached a template with this workspace and the sample source data:

none2none.fmwt

Userlevel 1
Badge +21
Why would BWL report not contain EE621984?
Userlevel 1
Badge +21

If the above should in fact include EE621984 then I would aggregate your first table, Group By Category, and create a list called CLIENT and join this to the supplier on a featuremerger

The second table would then be joined to the requestor port and merge on the CATEGORY attribute, after merging use a LIST exploder which will create a feature per cell per relevant client

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

If the above should in fact include EE621984 then I would aggregate your first table, Group By Category, and create a list called CLIENT and join this to the supplier on a featuremerger

The second table would then be joined to the requestor port and merge on the CATEGORY attribute, after merging use a LIST exploder which will create a feature per cell per relevant client

@redgeographics method is neater though :-)

Userlevel 5
Badge +25
@redgeographics method is neater though :-)

[takes bow]

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Depending on the source format (and from the word table I take it is a database), you could also use the SQLCreator and have the database do the joining:

Select * from Client_table t1, Cell_table t2 Where t1.client_code = t2.client_code.

Then write the Cell_name and use the Client_name as attribute to name the output file.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Another thought. The InlineQuerier (SQL statement) could be used here regardless of the source format.

join-tables-with-inlinequerier-example.fmwt (FME 2017.0)