Question

What is the timeout for FME Cloud websocket connections?

I noticed that my connections to my FME Cloud websocket timed out after 2 minutes if no data had been transmitted. I was able to remedy the problem by creating a heartbeat that sent a message at an interval less than 2 minutes. This was a little frustrating to have to work out though.

Is 2 minutes the default timeout on FME Cloud? I had no such issues when using FME Server. I'm guessing this is to do with the settings applied to the NGINX server on the Cloud instances? Is there a way to alter the default timeout, or am I stuck with the heartbeat solution? If so, can you document the default timeout issue somewhere?

3 replies

Userlevel 4

You may want to go directly to Safe support with this one. Please keep us posted, however, in case someone else stumbles upon the same issue later.

Badge +2

I'm pretty sure that is not possible to alter any configurations on NGINX for FME Cloud instances.

Badge

Hi @cdog89,

Can you share a little bit more information about the WebSocket client you are using and how you are receiving messages via the wss protocol on FME Cloud?

Are you using a workspace with a WebsocketReceiver or a Publication using the WebSocket protocol?

I tested the following scenarios:

1. Send messages every 130s with the WebsocketSender to wss://bluesky-safe-software.fmecloud.com/websocket and receive them with the WebsocketReceiver

2. Send messages every 130s with the WebsocketSender to wss://bluesky-safe-software.fmecloud.com/websocket and receive them with a WebSocket publication on FME Server

Both tests were successful and I did not experience any connection time outs.