Question

Merge features from multiple Excel sheets

• 20 March 2014
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge
I have a dataset which consists of multiple Excel files. Each file has four worksheets. I want to merge one of the sheets from each workbook. The sheets all have the same schema, but the sheets don't share the same name. Some of them are named "Table" while other sheets have a name constructed by three digits followed by a place name; 102_Stockholm; 513_London...

Setting a regex in the merge filter properties of the reader is no problem. The problem is what to write in Feature Type Name? The Feature Type Name always semmes seems to works as a reducing filter. If set to "Table" I only get the sheets named "Table". I've tried to use some kind of wildcard (*, %) without any luck.

Regards,

Daniel

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Daniel,

I don't think there is a way to resolve that by the reader settings.

After reading, feature type name can be changed with the AttributeCreator (assign appropriate name to "fme_feature_type") or the SchemaMapper (Feature Type Mapping scenario).

Takashi
Badge
Hi Takashi,

I thought there was nothing FME couldn't do!   ;)

So, does this mean there's no way to read Excel files if the sheet names aren't known?

/Daniel
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
If you selected "Merged Feature Type" option on the Excel reader, and also you know worksheet names which should be read, you can tell the reader the worksheet names through "Feature Types to Read" parameter.

Selectable feature type names (worksheet names in this case) for the parameter will be configured when you specified source Excel file(s).

Badge +3
Hi, i was reading this.

Did the where clause parameter dissapear in this XLSXR reader???

The now depricated XLS_ADO reader has it.

thats a shame, or is it stuffed somewher hidden and mysterious?

Gio
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Gio, the XLSXR reader doesn't have "where clause" parameter indeed.

I feel that the XLSXR is much more efficient than the XLS_ADO. Probably it's reading Excel files directly without using ADO (a middle ware for database accessing).

I guess this is the reason that the XLSXR cannot have "where clause" parameter.

FME 2014 doesn't have XLS_ADO no longer...