Question

Can FME read a geodatabase as a zip file?

• 15 April 2016
  • 5 replies

I can't find information about I could do the above i.e. getting an FME reader to read an ESRI geodatabase as a zip file? My issue is that I want users to submit those geodatabases that I then want to validate the attributes before doing anything else..

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi

Sure, no problem. Just point the reader to the zip file rather than the gdb directory. Nothing else needed.

David

Badge +2

As David said - but what version of FME are you using? I think it was added in FME 2015.0 as I just tried FME 2014 and it isn't an option (using Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb API) reader)

Badge +2

@aj7 just to add I have been trying to read a large GDB zipped by Windows built in compression functionality and it won't read it with FME 2016. The same GDB compressed with 7Zip is readable. Problem logged with Safe support team.

Badge +1

We tried doing this by having the zip on s3 and reading directly with FileGDB reader and it doesnt work.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

@aj7 just to add I have been trying to read a large GDB zipped by Windows built in compression functionality and it won't read it with FME 2016. The same GDB compressed with 7Zip is readable. Problem logged with Safe support team.

Thanks. I think it should work for sure - and I don't use 7Zip - so it's good to hear you logged a case with the support team so we can look at it properly.