Question

Collection features with mixed dimensions ?

• 28 February 2014
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi,

I have just encountered a problem when moving data into a PostGIS database. It errs during the final bulk copy with "Dimension mismatch in lwcollection".

Apparently what this errors means, is that the collection feature itself has a different dimension (2D/3D) than one or more of its collection sub features.

The input data does not contain collections with mixed dimensions, so they must be generated in the workspace itself somehow.

If I add a 2DForcer just before the writer, the data is output as expected, but I naturally want to output 3D.

What caveats are present in what transformers that could possibly prompt the generation of mixed dimension collections ?

Cheers

Lars

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

it's difficult to say without knowing the details of the workspace. To debug, consider isolating the offending feature(s) and intercept them with an inspection point or with the Inspector. Look at the geometry to see if there are indeed any 2D objects present.

Another, but simpler, workaround could be to just drop the dimension constraint in PostGIS. Unless you really need it, that is.

David
Badge
Hi David,

I'm not sure how to share the workspace in question (it's not a secret). Can I attach it to a post here ?

The PostGIS database setup is outside my juristiction, I'm afraid, and I only have working knowledge of its setup. I've asked the guy in charge, and he claims not to have any knowledge of any dimension constraints in the PostGIS setup.

Where do I see whether there is any dimension constraint ?

Cheers

Lars
Badge
Hi again,

One thing that may have changed, is that we've upgraded both client and server from 2013 to 2014. But I don't think I've seen any relevant changes wrt PostGIS in that upgrade.

Cheers

Lars