Solved

FME Server App not accessible

Badge +1

Hi,

I created my first ever FME Server app yesterday and when I ran it the first few times, everything was fine.

However, for an un-related reason, I changed the permissions (I added a new role with 'Can Run' permissions) to the repository that the workspace which is used in the FME Server App, is sitting in, and then following this the app no longer works.

When I go to the app URL now I get a message saying ' Repository "XXX" doesn't exist or you do not have permission to Read or Run from it '.

I don't understand why I am getting this message as the repository definitely still exists and I actually added more permissions to it rather than removing permissions.

Anyone experienced this before?

I am using FME Server 2019.1

Thanks

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 29 April 2020, 17:48

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I think you also need to add 'read' permissions for the Repository.

In my experience there are 3 things needed to have permission to run a workspace.

1. Can run workspaces

2. Can read repository

3. Can run workspaces in repository

Badge +1

I think you also need to add 'read' permissions for the Repository.

In my experience there are 3 things needed to have permission to run a workspace.

1. Can run workspaces

2. Can read repository

3. Can run workspaces in repository

Hi @virtualcitymatt I thought that benefit of FME Server Apps was that you didn't need to grant any permissions to users and anyone can run them?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi @virtualcitymatt I thought that benefit of FME Server Apps was that you didn't need to grant any permissions to users and anyone can run them?

Oh i see - I totally misread your initial question. That's a weird one for sure. Does it work again if you remove that role you created?

Badge +1

Oh i see - I totally misread your initial question. That's a weird one for sure. Does it work again if you remove that role you created?

No it didn't. The only way I got it to work again was to build it from scratch...

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

No it didn't. The only way I got it to work again was to build it from scratch...

Super weird - Can you recreate the process? definitely sounds like a bug. If you can provide reproducible steps I can try test in FME Server 2020 and let you know if it's still a problem

Badge +1

I just tested this again by adding the workspace into a new repository and then creating the app. Then adding a new role with permissions to access that repository, and the same thing happened - I could no longer access the app! I will send something in to Safe to see if it is a bug (@markatsafe).

Badge +1

Super weird - Can you recreate the process? definitely sounds like a bug. If you can provide reproducible steps I can try test in FME Server 2020 and let you know if it's still a problem

I just tried it again and the same thing happened. Steps are:

1. Publish workspace to repository
  2. Create FME Server App using that workspace
  3. Add a role which previously did not have permission to the repository, with 'Can Run' permissions
  4. Try to Run the FME Server App again
Badge

I had to to create a token via

Then pick your app and grant permissions

Badge +2

Hi @aquamarine,

Hmm this is a very bizarre issue, from the steps provided I have not been able to reproduce it so far in 2019.1 or the latest release. It would be good to see if we can reproduce this to confirm whether there is a bug here, so I'd recommend creating a case with Safe Software Support so we can investigate the issue with you in more depth.

That being said, when we build a Server App, FME still has to assign permissions however rather than using a specific user it generates an API Token, so going and checking those permissions, and re-assigning them if necessary would be a possible workaround instead of recreating the app entirely.

Select User Settings in the top right corner > Manage Tokens. Find the Token for your Server App and click on it to edit the permissions and then assign read and run access to the Repository before saving the changes.

Badge +1

Hi @aquamarine,

Hmm this is a very bizarre issue, from the steps provided I have not been able to reproduce it so far in 2019.1 or the latest release. It would be good to see if we can reproduce this to confirm whether there is a bug here, so I'd recommend creating a case with Safe Software Support so we can investigate the issue with you in more depth.

That being said, when we build a Server App, FME still has to assign permissions however rather than using a specific user it generates an API Token, so going and checking those permissions, and re-assigning them if necessary would be a possible workaround instead of recreating the app entirely.

Select User Settings in the top right corner > Manage Tokens. Find the Token for your Server App and click on it to edit the permissions and then assign read and run access to the Repository before saving the changes.

Thanks @hollyatsafe . I enabled 'Read' and 'Run' permissions for that specific repository and I was then able to access the app again without having to recreate it.