Question

GIS to CAD (dwg)

• 29 September 2015
  • 11 replies

Badge
There is a lot of theory on this subject, i'm looking for some technical support.

Issue: I have GIS data (inside sequel server) that I need to load into AutoCAD (dwg) on a weekly basis.  I had successfully done this when the data was being dumped into DGN's but now we are switching to AutoCAD.  I thought I would be able to switch all my DGNStylers to DWGStylers but there appears to be more to it?

The main issues are the point features need to be represented as blocks.... I have tried saving my old DGNs as DWGs then pathing to that file in the DWGStyler but it does not grab the symbology?

If I don't set any parameters in the DWGStyler, it will bring the point across, just will not associate with a symbol?

11 replies

Badge +2
Hi,

Do you want "dgn to dwg" or "sequel server to dwg"?

Pratap
Badge +2
Hi,

Enable the following format attributes in format attributes tab and define these attributes as explained below with attribute creator...

1. autocad_block_insert_x ( X coordinate of autocad block)

2. autocad_block_insert_y ( Y coordinate of autocad block)

3. autocad_block_insert_z (if the data is 3D) ( Z coordinate of autocad block)

4. autocad_entity ( constant value: autocad_insert)

5. autocad_block_name ( Name of the autocad block)

Define the required blocks in an template and define the template path in the writer parameters.

Pratap
Badge +3
not choose but create these attributes is what Pratap said, as you want to write a ACAD file.

( you can only choose these on a ACAD file reader ....)

Best to read up on the Autocad writer section of the fme readers and writers bible.

You can acces it trough the Safe site.
Badge
thanks Gio, I noticed the 'Use block name to create blocks' parameter while in the bible and this brought the blocks in fine using just the DWG styler (no attribute creator).  They just are not rotating? I tried changing the Block Rotation to fm0_rotation and fme_rotation but they still came in at 90degree.

Badge
Rotation is good, switched Writer parameter --> 'use orientated points' to YES.
Badge +2
Is it Solved?
Badge
Everything seems to be running smooth Pretap in regards to the cels to blocks.  Just trying to get the linestyle to transfer over.  I had a linestyle in the DGN (Style 3).  When I specify that in the DWGStyler and write out my feature, the line comes in solid still.  I'm assuming it a scale setting in ACAD rather then FMEs settings.

Badge +2
Hi,

I don't think "DGN Style 3" named line style will be present in autocad library. You may have to be defined in template or in your autocad settings. If it is defined then check the properties of the line in dwg file and alter the line style attribute.

Pratap
Badge +3
Yes, you should choose the linestyles present the library (check your library )

Badge

@tlabs - just wondering if you got the issue with the line style sorted. I'm having the exact same problem myself using the .dwgstyler.

Badge

@divil, i'm having issues with the one linetype (XFENCE). Ex: --- X --- X ---. When I review the featrue in AutoCAD it states it has XFENCE but one of the programs is dropping the X.

When I review the properties of the line in CAD it states it is of type XFENCE. But in order to see the X as part of the line I have to reload the .lin file in CAD?

Thoughts?