Question

arcpy geodatabase deletion script causing a fatal error in fme server

Badge

We're trying to run a script in FME Server 2018 that replaces a geodatabase with a new dataset using arcpy. In a few months we'll be attempting to use FME's native geodatabase writer, but for now I need to troubleshoot why the following doesn't work:

import fme
import fmeobjects
import arcpy

# Main Function
def delme(feature):

# Variables
table_2b_deld = feature.getAttribute('SOURCE_ETL_TABLE')
sde_conn = FME_MacroValues['SDE_Connection']
full_del_str = sde_conn + '\\' + table_2b_deld + 'X'
# print full_del_str

# Process
try:
arcpy.Delete_management(full_del_str)
feature.setAttribute('deletion_result','success')

except Exception, e:
logger = fmeobjects.FMELogFile()
logger.logException(e,2)
feature.setAttribute('deletion_result','failure')
feature.setAttribute('deletion_result_detail',e)
pass

After that script runs, we move data in Oracle from our staging schema into our production schema, then attempt a geodatabase registration script with a virtually identical syntax.

If the geodatabase isn't there already, the script works perfectly well. If the geodatabase is already there, it fails with the following log message:

2018-06-06 12:10:19|  21.5|  0.1|WARN  |Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 001050: Either registered with geodatabase already or cannot open the dataset.
Failed to execute (RegisterWithGeodatabase).

2018-06-06 12:10:19|  21.5|  0.0|ERROR |Python Exception <TypeError>: Could not convert attribute value to a supported attribute type.
2018-06-06 12:10:19|  21.5|  0.0|ERROR |Error encountered while calling function `regme'
2018-06-06 12:10:19|  21.5|  0.0|FATAL |Register_X_Table(PythonFactory): PythonFactory failed to process feature
2018-06-06 12:10:19|  21.5|  0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details
2018-06-06 12:10:19|  21.5|  0.0|ERROR |... Last line repeated 3 times ...
2018-06-06 12:10:19|  21.5|  0.0|ERROR |Bridge failed to output feature on tag `PYOUTPUT'
2018-06-06 12:10:19|  21.5|  0.0|FATAL |Delete_X_Table(PythonFactory): PythonFactory failed to process feature
2018-06-06 12:10:19|  21.5|  0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

The error log is showing that both python scripts generated a fatal error.

5 replies

Userlevel 4

The script you've posted contains a function "delme()" while the error message references the function "regme()". Are you sure the error comes from this particular script?

Badge

The script you've posted contains a function "delme()" while the error message references the function "regme()". Are you sure the error comes from this particular script?

the regme() function happens later in the script - its code is identical to the delme() function except where delme() deletes the geodatabase, regme() registers the geodatabase. the fatal error seems to occur when the geodatabase is already there - the delme() script doesn't seem to work? i'm honestly not sure what's the issue, but since the log is showing that both scripts are failing, i was hoping somebody better at arcpy than me could help out

Userlevel 4

I think this line is the culprit:

feature.setAttribute('deletion_result_detail', e)

The issue is that the object "e" is an Exception object, where as setAttribute() expects a string or a numeric value. It does not know what to do with an Exception object.

Try this instead, which will give you the ArcGIS error message:

feature.setAttribute('deletion_result_detail', arcpy.GetMessages())

Documentation: http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/analyze/arcpy-functions/getmessage.htm

Badge

The issue is that the object "e" is an Exception object, where as setAttribute() expects a string or a numeric value. It does not know what to do with an Exception object.

Documentation: http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/analyze/arcpy-functions/getmessage.htm

ooh i'll try that now. thanks!

Badge

that was the culprit - script works without issue now. thanks very much!