Question

FME Server 2016.1 Job using an extra FME License when using FMEJobSubmitter

Currently, we noticed that the scheduled job in FME Server is consuming an extra FME license. This happens when the FME Script contains an FMEJobSubmitter. We can see that another fme.exe process is available in the Windows Task Manager aside from the other 4 allotted for the FME Engines.

This should not happen.

3 replies

Userlevel 4

I think the only reliable way to check for the number of licenses used by FME Server is the "Engine & Licensing" page, not the Windows task manager. What does the engine page look like when this occurs -- could you post a screenshot here?

That said, there were some issues similar to these in FME Server 2017 which apparently have been fixed in 2018. I'm not sure if those issues were present in 2016.1, however, you'll have to ask Safe support for more info.

I think the only reliable way to check for the number of licenses used by FME Server is the "Engine & Licensing" page, not the Windows task manager. What does the engine page look like when this occurs -- could you post a screenshot here?

That said, there were some issues similar to these in FME Server 2017 which apparently have been fixed in 2018. I'm not sure if those issues were present in 2016.1, however, you'll have to ask Safe support for more info.

My colleague and I have tested this. A new fme.exe appeared once we start a scheduled job that contains the FMEJobSubmitter. He's looking at the Licensing and he can see the account that was added to the license list. After he killed the running job (via the windows task manager), the license was released. We were able to replicate this as well by starting another job with FMEJobSubmitter.

Thanks, I'll ask Safe support for more info.

Userlevel 4
My colleague and I have tested this. A new fme.exe appeared once we start a scheduled job that contains the FMEJobSubmitter. He's looking at the Licensing and he can see the account that was added to the license list. After he killed the running job (via the windows task manager), the license was released. We were able to replicate this as well by starting another job with FMEJobSubmitter.

Thanks, I'll ask Safe support for more info.

Ask them about case number C119862 (and possibly also C121974) to see if it's related.