Solved

Do FME Server and FME Desktop have to be the same version to be compatible?

• 21 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

If I have a 2018.1 FME Server can I use FME Desktop 2017? What if I have FME Server 2017 and FME Desktop 2018.1?

icon

Best answer by siennaatsafe 21 December 2018, 02:02

View original

2 replies

Badge +9

Well, it is always best to use the same version of FME Desktop and FME Server. We always strive to have backwards compatibility in our products. This means a workspace created in 2017 should run fine on a 2018 FME Server. However, this isn’t always guaranteed so it is the best practice to work with the same version of FME Desktop and FME Server.

We rarely make our products forward compatible. A 2017 FME Server should not use a workspace created in 2018. There may be functionality in a 2018 workspace that the 2017 FME Server is not compatible with.

For more information on the compatibility requirements between FME Desktop and FME Server, please read FME Versions and Workspace Compatibility or the Requirements for FME Workbench.

Badge +5

Be aware that, although there is some leniency when it comes to the FME version used for authoring workspaces, custom transformers are treated very differently.

Linked custom transformers must be developed in EXACTLY the same version of FME Workbench as FME Server. This is down to the exact build number. So, even if the version name is the same (e.g. 2018.1.0.1) but the build numbers differ (e.g. Build 18528 vs Build 18529), FME Server workspaces using the linked custom transformer will fail with an "incorrect version" message.