Solved

PostgreSQL 12 reading error

Hi all,

There is a issue connecting to Postgresql 12.

Error executing SQL command ('SELECT c.relhasoids AS oids FROM pg_class c INNER JOIN pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace WHERE ...... 
'ERROR:  column c.relhasoids does not exist

According to PostgreSQL 12 documentation, the "relhasoids" column has been removed from release 12.

The error appears on both readers(PostgreSQL\PostGIS) and on different versions of FME Desktop: 18.1; 19.1; 20_beta.

At the same time, the SQLCreator transformer reads the database without any problems.

Has anyone else tested how FME works with new PostgreSQL 12?

icon

Best answer by rahulsharma 13 January 2021, 20:53

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 4

Sounds like an issue for Safe support, it might be that Postgresql 12 isn't supported yet.

Badge +8

Hi @tsaryniuk, Thanks for bringing it up. I am currently investigating (installing Postgres 12) and will update you if there is a compatibility issues with FME Desktop 2019

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

I found some references in the PostGres documentation that is was a bug (May 2019) and has been resolved (August 2019).

Could it be you have a version of PostGres 12 that was developed before August 2019?

Badge +11

@tsaryniuk, Thanks for sharing.  

This does look like a problem.  I tested with Postgres 12 on my Mac OS with FME 2019.2 beta.  I can add a table to the canvas, but when I run the workspace I get the error you report.  

ERROR |Error executing SQL command ('SELECT c.relhasoids AS oids FROM pg_class c INNER JOIN pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace WHERE (c.relname = 'myTab') AND (n.nspname = 'public')'): 'ERROR:  column c.relhasoids does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT c.relhasoids AS oids FROM pg_class c INNER JOIN pg_na...

However, you may wish to try the SQLCreator to see if that can hold you over.  I can connect and read from a non-spatial table using the SQL Creator.

The SQLCreator runs OK.  I also confirmed the version of the PostgreSQL database by running the following using SQLCreator.

SELECT version() as myversion;

Returns this on MacOS

'myversion' has value 'PostgreSQL 12.0 on x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0, compiled by Apple LLVM version 8.1.0 (clang-802.0.42), 64-bit'

We will get this investigated.  Seems like something isn't happy.

Badge +11

I found some references in the PostGres documentation that is was a bug (May 2019) and has been resolved (August 2019).

Could it be you have a version of PostGres 12 that was developed before August 2019?

My version was : PostgreSQL 12.0 / PostGIS 3.0.0beta1 / plv8 2.3.13. Found here: https://postgresapp.com/downloads.html and is for MacOS. I think it is newer than May. But still produces the same error. Will see what @rahulsharma figures out.

Badge +11

Sounds like an issue for Safe support, it might be that Postgresql 12 isn't supported yet.

A quick update: We have created an ISSUE to investigate this. Will update when we know more.

Thanks for your patience.

Many thanks for replies and help)

Badge +7
A quick update: We have created an ISSUE to investigate this. Will update when we know more.

Thanks @steveatsafe for investigation..

I have the same issue with the version: PostgreSQL 12.0, compiled by Visual C++ build 1914, 64-bit

Badge +6

Has there been a resolution to this problem yet?

Fixed in FME 2020 Beta according to the changelog : https://downloads.safe.com/fme/beta/whatsnew_2020_0.txt

Badge +11

Just to clarify this is also now fixed in FME 2019.2.1 as well as FME 2020 Beta that was reported by @lmagreaultdatto. Both are available for download now.

Has there been a resolution to this problem yet?

See https://knowledge.safe.com/comments/104090/view.html

As a temporarily workaround in case you cannot upgrade yet, you can try to use SQLCreator or SQLExectuor and manually typing your SELECT queries to read data from PostgreSQL 12. This works for me in FME 2018.1, and I suspect it will also work in earlier versions too.

Hi @steveatsafe! Do you know more on said issue? Currently having the same problem with the latest versions of postgres/postgis and FME Workbench(2019.2).

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @steveatsafe! Do you know more on said issue? Currently having the same problem with the latest versions of postgres/postgis and FME Workbench(2019.2).

Thanks in advance.

Hi @hellenic1994,

It looks like there's been an update to FME that now supports the PostgreSQL 12 database available in builds 19807 and higher. Can you confirm that your 2019.2 build is one that includes that new support? You can check your build number in Workbench by going to Help > About FME Workbench.

Badge +8

Hi @tsaryniuk​ & @hellenic1994​ 

This issue is now being fixed in FME Desktop 2019.2.3 and 2020.0, please download the latest version from here.