Solved

IFC to CityGML (LOD3). How to visualize .gml geometries?

• 9 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi,

I'm trying to convert an IFC file (exported with Revit) into a .gml one. I tried to recreate the workspace suggested here: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1025/bim-to-gis-intermediate-ifc-lod-300-to-lod-4-cityg.html , but I could not be able to visualize the output file (.gml) in QGIS software. Using the available data at the above link, I can see them. Why? I'm using FME Workbench 2019.

icon

Best answer by v_sunflower 13 January 2020, 12:39

View original

6 replies

Hi @v_sunflower,

Were there any error/warning messages logged in the FME log file when you were running the workspace with your data? Have you tried viewing it in FME Visual Preview or Data Inspector? Is it possible to try any software other than QGIS to see if they could process the output?

Minor adjustments on the parameter setting in the workflow may be required specific to your file. Would you be able to share the input IFC file, your workspace and the log file generated with your dataset?

Meanwhile, we have another tutorial on IFC to CityGML producing lower level of detail on the output with a less complex workflow. It may not preserve all the information you need in the final output, but it may be worth testing with your IFC file to see if any output geometry can be visualized.

Badge

Hi @v_sunflower,

Were there any error/warning messages logged in the FME log file when you were running the workspace with your data? Have you tried viewing it in FME Visual Preview or Data Inspector? Is it possible to try any software other than QGIS to see if they could process the output?

Minor adjustments on the parameter setting in the workflow may be required specific to your file. Would you be able to share the input IFC file, your workspace and the log file generated with your dataset?

Meanwhile, we have another tutorial on IFC to CityGML producing lower level of detail on the output with a less complex workflow. It may not preserve all the information you need in the final output, but it may be worth testing with your IFC file to see if any output geometry can be visualized.

Hi @alyssaatsafe,

before you answered me, I further modified my workspace. The reader is named "exportIFC_OK", the workspace is "ifc2citygml_10_01" and the output file is called "LoD_3". After running, I can see in FME Data Inspector every element. The problem still exists when I try to put my .gml file into QGIS software: it doesn't recognize the geometries as well as in the Data Inspector. I decided to use QGIS because it's an open source software, and I would like to reason using standard format solutions (IFC and CityGML) in my FMEworkspaces.

I'm sending you my files in the zipped folder "Workspace_14".

Badge

Workspace_14.zip

Badge

Adding the "Tester" transformer, I solved all my problems :) I put it before every "GetGrandParentID" transformer!

Hi @v_sunflower​ ,

did you solve the problem? Because it is the same i have, once imported in 3dcitydb. In the data inspector, i can see every element after the citygml exporter, but once in 3dcitydb, not geometries appeare!

Badge

Hi @alyssaatsafe,

before you answered me, I further modified my workspace. The reader is named "exportIFC_OK", the workspace is "ifc2citygml_10_01" and the output file is called "LoD_3". After running, I can see in FME Data Inspector every element. The problem still exists when I try to put my .gml file into QGIS software: it doesn't recognize the geometries as well as in the Data Inspector. I decided to use QGIS because it's an open source software, and I would like to reason using standard format solutions (IFC and CityGML) in my FMEworkspaces.

I'm sending you my files in the zipped folder "Workspace_14".

When i use the system coordinate Epsg4326 ,The examination is correct but When adding the converter as it is in the lesson, converting from the canvas and using coordinate system LWG1984 for the reader and writer’s , when previewing it, the building does not appear and the coordinate system is still Epsg4326, but it disappears, and when the coordinate is opened, we notice that it remains Epsg4326.why?