Solved

Converting RLC files

Badge +6

I've recently come across a number of these files that look like they are from the early 1990s. AutoCAD can open them, but I was hoping to batch convert them into either TIF or PDF format.

I used a Data File Reader, set to binary and found that the first 4 bytes describe the dimensions of the image, but after that, I'm stuck.

icon

Best answer by jdh 19 June 2017, 23:33

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I don't see anything recorded in our internal systems about "rlc" (no bugs, no enhancement requests, no support issues), and not a lot more online. But if I'm reading this correctly, rlc is not so much a format as a type of compression, so you might try reading it with a few other formats. INGR is the only format I can find that mentions rlc in relation to, so maybe worth a try using that?

Otherwise can you post a file here for us to inspect?

Badge +22

I think rlc files are Scanner Graphic Files, essential 1-bit per pixel images directly output by certain scanners back in the day.

Badge +6

I don't see anything recorded in our internal systems about "rlc" (no bugs, no enhancement requests, no support issues), and not a lot more online. But if I'm reading this correctly, rlc is not so much a format as a type of compression, so you might try reading it with a few other formats. INGR is the only format I can find that mentions rlc in relation to, so maybe worth a try using that?

Otherwise can you post a file here for us to inspect?

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm allowed to post the files publicly. On your suggestion, I tried Integraph Raster, to no avail.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think rlc files are Scanner Graphic Files, essential 1-bit per pixel images directly output by certain scanners back in the day.

I think you're right. I found an example file online and can look at it in a text/hex editor, but it means very little to me. Sorry. I guess we could file this as an idea or an enhancement request, but I doubt we'd do anything with this format.

Badge +6
I think you're right. I found an example file online and can look at it in a text/hex editor, but it means very little to me. Sorry. I guess we could file this as an idea or an enhancement request, but I doubt we'd do anything with this format.

It seems to be a pretty obscure format. Since AutoCAD can still open them, I can print to PDF individually. I doubt there'll ever be more than the few dozen I recently came across.