Question

GeoTiff created by FME and ESRI

• 15 March 2013
  • 4 replies

Badge +9
  • Contributor
  • 101 replies
Hello

Just as info for those who may run into this.

I had a customer complaint that ArcMap does not recognize the coordinate system from a GeoTiff file I created with FME.

Well after lots of going here and there, trying out new GeoTiff writer options and the like the solution was very simple.

ArcGIS 9.3.1 does not recognize the coordinate system in the GeoTiff

ArcGIS 10.0 can read and use it without any problem.

Michael

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Michael,

have you contacted Safe support about this issue? Sounds like a bug that they might be interested in fixing.

Thanks for bringing this to attention, though.

David
Badge +9
Hi David

What should Safe do about it, when ArcGIS 10.0 can handle the same file where ArcGIS 9.3.1 has a problem with ?

I had tried a new writer option "Write Esri-Compatible Coordinate System" which didn't help in any way.

For me this is an ESRI issue.
Userlevel 4
Hi Michael,

you may very well be right about it being an ESRI issue. On the other hand, Safe might be able to verify if the error is linked to a particular version of FME.

Also, I would be surprised if ArcGIS 9.3.1 was unable to recognize the coordinate system of a GeoTiff it had written by itself, so there is that to take into account.

Out of interest, did you save the coordinate system embedded into the GeoTiff or in a prj-file next to the Tiff?

David

Badge +9
Hi David

The GeoTiff writer in FME is setup in a way so that the coordsys is written embedded into the GeoTiff (into one of the TAGs) and if I open it brute force in a text editor I can even find the coordsys amidst the binary rest.

A tfw file is ceated in addition, no prj file is there.

The workspace was originally created with FME 2010 I think, the last writer update may have been with FME 2011 or 2012.

In addition I created a new writer with FME 2012 SP4.

All variants show the same behaviour in ArcMap 9.3.1 (not recognized) and 10.0 (recognized).