Question

Writing textured IFCs from Multipatch, or other ways to get textured 3D GIS models into Revit

Badge

I want to get my textured MP models into Revit while keeping the texture. Is this possible somehow? I tried going through IFC first, but color is all I managed to get to transfer. Are textures even possible? I'm also open to other ways of getting the models into Revit. Only geometry is fine too, the attributes are currently irrelevant.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @clickingbuttons,

I am not sure whether it is possible to bring textured models into Revit. Revit seems to display its own textures, based on the Materials the model parts are assigned.

For an alternative way to bring multi-patch data into Revit, you may wish to try using the ImportFromFME package for Revit Dynamo. Dynamo is an automation tool for Revit that is a little like FME Workbench.

The ImportGeometryFromFME node can import your multipatch geometry into Dynamo, as long as both FME and ArcGIS are installed on the same computer as Revit. This is a scripted tool, so it may take a while to run, but it is simpler than creating an IFC file.

Badge

Hi @clickingbuttons,

I am not sure whether it is possible to bring textured models into Revit. Revit seems to display its own textures, based on the Materials the model parts are assigned.

For an alternative way to bring multi-patch data into Revit, you may wish to try using the ImportFromFME package for Revit Dynamo. Dynamo is an automation tool for Revit that is a little like FME Workbench.

The ImportGeometryFromFME node can import your multipatch geometry into Dynamo, as long as both FME and ArcGIS are installed on the same computer as Revit. This is a scripted tool, so it may take a while to run, but it is simpler than creating an IFC file.

Ignoring Revit, would it be possible to create a textured IFC? It does have a texture option for surfaces: http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/IFC2x3/TC1/html/ifcpresentationappearanceresource/lexical/ifcsurfacetexture.htm

Unfortunately FMEPCConfg.exe doesn't seem to be included in the Data Interoperability for ArcGIS Pro version, but since Revit can't use the textures I guess it's not an option anyway.