Question

64bit fme on 64 bit machine ESRI

• 1 November 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge

Afternoon All, i have read the documentation on 64bit FME vs 32 bit FME but am still a bit lost...

I have a complex 32bit fme workspace in 32bit 2015 FME on windows 10 64bit. Its reading ESRI API file geodatabase data and writing ESRI API file geodatabase data and failing because of insufficient memory issues....

My 64bit PC (windows 10) has 64gigs of RAMM and obviously the 32bit FME is only addressing 3 gigs of this. Am i likely to find my workbech will work (get past the insufficient memory issues) if i run it on FME 2015 64 bit rather than FME 2015 32 bit.

Thanks Steve

4 replies

Badge +12

If you run a 64 bit fme, you will be able to use way more memory. So yes, you can and are likely to see better performance.

Now for the note...don't worry, you have already avoided it. Several of the Esri formats like arcobjects gdb reader/writer only work on 32 bit and therefore limited by the 32 bit architecture. The gdb api however isn't limited to 32 bit, and works under 64 bit. The gdb api isn't as fully featured in other areas, but it is great in this situation.

Badge +16

Hi, If possible I would recommend upgrading to FME 2016 64bit since major preformance improvements have been introduced.

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/22301/whats-great-in-fme-desktop-2016-workbench.html

If you run a 64 bit fme, you will be able to use way more memory. So yes, you can and are likely to see better performance.

Now for the note...don't worry, you have already avoided it. Several of the Esri formats like arcobjects gdb reader/writer only work on 32 bit and therefore limited by the 32 bit architecture. The gdb api however isn't limited to 32 bit, and works under 64 bit. The gdb api isn't as fully featured in other areas, but it is great in this situation.

This is incorrect, the ArcObjects GDB reader/writer works perfectly fine on 64-bits FME. You may have confused it with the Personal Geodatabase (MDB) reader/writer, which is indeed 32-bits only.

e: you may need to install the 64-bit background geoprocessing patch from Esri to get ArcObjects GDB working on 64-bit FME, however.

Badge +12
This is incorrect, the ArcObjects GDB reader/writer works perfectly fine on 64-bits FME. You may have confused it with the Personal Geodatabase (MDB) reader/writer, which is indeed 32-bits only.

e: you may need to install the 64-bit background geoprocessing patch from Esri to get ArcObjects GDB working on 64-bit FME, however.

True, if you have 64bit ArcObject installed (e.g. ArcPro), then you will be able to use the ArcObjects GDB reader/writer in 64bit. Thanks for the correction.