Question

IFC Class and IFC Object Type

• 18 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi,

How can I know what is the object type for an Ifc class instance.

For example :

Is this instance of IfcFlowTerminal is type of IfcOutletType or IfcAirTerminalType?

Thank you

3 replies

Badge

Hi @dguilmain,

You should expose the attribute ObjectType. That will give you the name of the IFC class you're looking for.

Be aware though that your reader should be in relational mode (=default) and not hierarchical mode, otherwise you will end up with one or more aggregates (and you will have to extract the class from the geometry traits). More information here.

Hi @sander

ObjectType attribute does not contain the information I want.

I'm using BIM Vision to obtain IfcClass and IfcType about the object 0yctbTyNr3BfE$IEumhzDS.

When I read it with FME I cannot obtain the IfcType (IfcLightFixtureType) but only the name attribute of the IfcType (600x600).

fme-ifc-object-type.png

maquette-test-doe.zip

Badge

Hi @dguilmain,

Ah.. so you basically want the type behind the ObjectType? I played a bit with your IFC file and I noticed that the IfcLightFixtureType is there, but I can't find a way to have FME read this somehow, also not with a Schema reader. The only way I can think of now, is to manually read the IFC (using a Text Reader) and join that info yourself, but that would be really tedious.

Maybe you should submit a support case for this. Perhaps Safe can tell you if it's possible at all and if it isn't, you could propose an idea for it.