Question

How read texture from existing OBJ file?

• 30 October 2015
  • 2 replies

Hi, I have OBJ file and i try to display it in FME. When I connect Reader (I select Wavefront OBJ file as a file type) with Vizuallizer (now it have name Inspector I guess) I can see only triangles without texture. It is possible to display it?

I have FME Desktop version 2011.

Magda.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Magda,

The OBJ reader can read texture from the source OBJ file, but the default visualizer in FME 2011 (FME Universal Viewer) doesn't support to display texture. Try using FME Data Inspector instead. You can switch the Visualizer Application with Workbench menu:

Tools > FME Options | Workbench page

Just be aware Data Inspector in FME 2011 was in Beta stage. Many enhancements and improvements have been done during these few years. I would recommend you to upgrade FME version, if possible.

Takashi
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Magda,

The OBJ reader can read texture from the source OBJ file, but the default visualizer in FME 2011 (FME Universal Viewer) doesn't support to display texture. Try using FME Data Inspector instead. You can switch the Visualizer Application with Workbench menu:

Tools > FME Options | Workbench page

Just be aware Data Inspector in FME 2011 was in Beta stage. Many enhancements and improvements have been done during these few years. I would recommend you to upgrade FME version, if possible.

Takashi

And I do agree that FME 2015 has dramatically better 3D support in every way and so I'd strongly advise@muchaneta to upgrade if at all possible.