Question

Is a dash in an ArcGIS Server Feature Service URL a no-no?

Badge +8

I am trying to add an ArcGIS Server Feature Service reader to my workspace but get the following error when I click to get the Layer List: Python Exception <HTTPError>:401 Client Error: Unauthorized. I suspect the issue is a dash in the URL, which goes something like https://server-new/arcgis/rest/services/MyMapService/MapServer. I can't add any of the map services from this ArcGIS Server. However, we have several other ArcGIS Server environments and I don't get the error with any of them (and none have dashes in their names). Could the dash be the issue? (FME Desktop 2016.1 - build 16492)

Thanks,

Aaron

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Is the dash in the server-name as in your example? If so, I don't think that should be the issue.

Badge +8

Is the dash in the server-name as in your example? If so, I don't think that should be the issue.

Yes, the dash is in the server name as in the example above. I have six other ArcGIS Server environments, no dash in the server names, and have no issues. The environments are configured pretty much the same. Other than the dash, I don't know what the cause of the error might be. I'm open to suggestions.
Userlevel 4
Yes, the dash is in the server name as in the example above. I have six other ArcGIS Server environments, no dash in the server names, and have no issues. The environments are configured pretty much the same. Other than the dash, I don't know what the cause of the error might be. I'm open to suggestions.
I'm using FME to read from several ArcGIS Server instances (Feature Services) with multiple dashes in the machine name, I've never encountered any problems in that regard.

I would suspect the problem to be elsewhere.
Badge +8
I'm using FME to read from several ArcGIS Server instances (Feature Services) with multiple dashes in the machine name, I've never encountered any problems in that regard.

I would suspect the problem to be elsewhere.
Thanks for the info @david_r. I will look elesewhere for the cause.

Badge +8

This issue occurs on ArcGIS Online, which I suspect might be similar to the issue that you're having. It seems like it's an authentication issue. Are your services secured or completely public? https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/57120/error-reading-arcgis-online-agol-feature-layer.html